Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10.5 year old boy...do hormones start this early?

(6 Posts)
Mummytron Wed 16-Nov-16 17:51:14

Hi
My ds1(10) has been really tearful this week. All of a sudden he just feels really down and upset, mainly early evening. He's been smelling of B.O for a few months now. Is this hormones?
He says there's nothing wrong with school and he's not worried about anything. He doesn't know why he's getting sad.
Any ideas?

MikeUniformMike Wed 16-Nov-16 17:54:20

BO and depression can be caused by physiological reasons. Kidney or thyroid problems perhaps. Might be worth seeing the GP.

MirabelleTree Wed 16-Nov-16 17:55:42

Yes they can do. Looking back I can see that DS was in year 3 when his hormones started kicking in and on the first day of middle school (so just before he was 10) he came back with a lower voice.

We have had a fair few episodes of tearfulness and anger over the last few years. He's 13 now and generally on more of an even keel. Still lots of hormone surges which show as spotty skin and greasy hair plus phases of being smelly but the tearfulness has lessened a lot as has the anger - but who knows what is yet to come.

Mummytron Wed 16-Nov-16 18:48:31

Kidney and thyroid? Crikey that's a worry.

Chocolatecake12 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:49:00

Gosh yes they do start this early. Puberty is getting earlier in children.
My ds was about 10 when he had to start using deodorant. By 12 his voice had gotten deeper and age 14 started shaving. He suffers with spots too which affects his confidence.
You need to talk to him about how his body will change and that feeling tearful and moody will be very normal for a few years to come.
Welcome to the rollercoaster!!

Ohyesiam Sun 20-Nov-16 23:18:29

Yes, could easily be hormones, and much more likely than any illlllness. So don't worry, just cuddle your boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now