Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Recurrent urine infections, duplex kidney - 5 year old daughter

(11 Posts)
Veryproudmumof2 Wed 16-Nov-16 17:50:58

Hi! My daughter is 5 and is on her 9th urine infection this year, the last one wouldn't budge with 4 different antibiotics and she was admitted to hospital sad Whilst she was there they scanned her and she has a duplex kidney, we are waiting for a further scan to look at scarring as the blood tests indicated his may be an issue.

At the mo she seems well but dip test yesterday indicated infection, we are waiting for the results of the culture on Friday and will go from there.

My question today is she hasnt had a wee for nearly 24 hours. Should I be worried?! I am concerned but how concerned should I be?

Id love to meet someone with knowledge or experience on this, I am literally clueless sad

CaesiumTime Wed 16-Nov-16 17:54:20

Oh dear, I don't know anything about this but if she hasn't urinated in 24 hours, I'd at least phone out of hours surgery or the NHS number (sorry can't remember it).

Is she in pain?

I'd ask for some advice ASAP.

Hope it is ok.

CaesiumTime Wed 16-Nov-16 17:54:52

I mean I'd ask for some proper medical advice ASAP. flowers

PotteringAlong Wed 16-Nov-16 17:57:28

He has kidney problems and hasn't urinated for 24 hours? I would be off to A&E as I would say it's and emergency.

herebehippos Wed 16-Nov-16 18:03:56

My sister has this. Go to a&e.

Leatherboundanddown Wed 16-Nov-16 18:04:36

My 5 yr old dd had her first UTI last week. The docs took it quite seriously and said to go to urgent care/A&E if she got worse (she was actually quite well in herself just had burning wee) so I think you should go and get her some fluids at the hospital. 24 hrs is not normal.

I hope she is better really soon.

herebehippos Wed 16-Nov-16 18:08:09

Seriously- I'm posting for a second time because the duplex kidneys and scarring make this very very serious. Go now. Your daughters long term kidney function could be at risk.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 16-Nov-16 18:16:31

Yy go to a&e now

Veryproudmumof2 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:37:56

Thank you everyone, she went tonight not long after I posted this, no pain or anything. I will call the doctor first thing, she has just got over a tummy bug too so I wonder if shes a little dehydrated although she has drank a fair bit today.

Lizmay12 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:25:46

Hi,
My daughter has duplex kidneys. They were found on my 20 week scan.
When she was born they performed an ultrasound and the left was a duplex system that functioned well and the right was also duplex but with a cyst on the bottom section which caused a dysfunction.
She was prescribed anti biotics from birth up until she was continent during the day. The complications were risk of recurrence of utis and also reflux of urine. She may also struggle with potty training as they said she may struggle to hold onto her wee as well as notice the urge to wee.
She has been fit and well and sees the consultant on regular occasions as they said she will need regular blood pressure checks. (Not quite sure why). She developed UTI recently whilst still taking the antibiotics. They performed a DMSA scan, they injected a dye into her body and did a scan to see the function of everything internal. Still awaiting the results.
Sorry it's not very informative I am in work at the moment and in a rush.

Also, everybody is different. We have been lucky as we were told of a possible operation to correct the cyst. The function of kidneys should be 50/50 (as in the kidneys should do the equal amount of work) but my daughters are 70/30. However the doctor has informed us that she can live a healthy life with just the one healthy duplex system and it's not something to worry about.

The main thing is to watch out for infections and treat then promptly with antibiotics.
Hope that was helpful for you.

My next consultant appointment it Dec 22nd and I would be happy to update you then?
Hope she gets well soon.

vdbfamily Wed 16-Nov-16 20:39:30

my youngest has kidney issues following endless UTI's . When they have had a lot of infections and associate weeing with pain, they get really good at holding their urine to the point where she can go all day without a wee. She saw a nephrologist a few weeks ago and he made her tell him exactly how many times a day she weed and then he told her she needed to go every break at school, before and after school and bedtime. It is really important to drink plenty, wee frequently and if possible 'double void' so after a wee, try again a couple of minutes later to ensure bladder totally empty. My DD took a prophylactic dose of firstly Trimetoprim and then when she became resistant to that Nitrofurantoin until she was 7 years old, from age of 7 weeks old. She is now 10 and off antibiotics and only had 1 infection in 3 years, but did have 3 ops to get her there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now