Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear infection not responding to ab's?

(7 Posts)
Luckymummy22 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:50:12

My boy is currently on antibiotics for a red ear & red throat. He had a cold & swollen tonsils 2 weeks ago that not surprisingly went to his ear. Saw doc 5 days ago who prescribed ab's for red ear & red tonsils (tonsils surprised me).
So we're still on ab's, almost finished course. He didn't have a temp for a few days before ab's were prescribed but I took him to Dr as he was really irritable.

Yesterday his temp started to rise to around 3I degrees but seemed to break overnight.
Whilst not 10p % today though he was on mend.
Tonight he has been very sick everywhere, but only once.
From experience this is most likely down to a sore ear (don't think it's sickness bug).
He seems ok I'm himself & teno still normal.
So back to Dr's tomorow for 3rd time in 2 weeks.

Just getting concerned about the amount if ab's he's having (7th dose in 6 months although 1st dose for 2 months)

Last time he had ab's for chest infection, then uti then ear infection in 3 weeks but his ear was mentioned each time.

Is it common for ear infections to take longer to clear?
My DD's ear used to perforate a couple of times a year but she never really seemed to struggle with them. His ear has never perforated but really struggles with them.

Just feeling a bit fed up with it all as it's his 2nd birthday this week & we've yet to have a special occasion where he's not been sick.

Luckymummy22 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:51:07

*His temp was 38 degrees yesterday

Lunar1 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:53:37

I'd ask for an ear swab, it took 3 lots of failed antibiotics for me to get referred to ent for one. As soon as I got the right ones it cleared up very quickly, and my hearing came back!

Witchend Sun 06-Nov-16 22:32:06

Ds had ear infections. Only in his case I would have been thrilled with only 7 in 6 months. he was having 8+ in 2 months.

It may be that he is resistant to the antibiotics-ds' had that! Or that he's picked up something else while he was low on the first thing. If he's been sick it could well be a sicky bug.

If he continues to be unwell I'd take him back to the GP to check the ear infection has cleared.

Thethingswedoforlove Sun 06-Nov-16 22:36:07

We had this too with dd1. The ear swan sorted it as it meant she could receive specifically targeted antibiotics. Dds ear consultant also gives her drops for the ear (which gps are usually too frightened too prescribe). They work v quickly.

lougle Sun 06-Nov-16 22:44:32

Or it might be viral, in which case abx won't work anyway.

Luckymummy22 Sun 06-Nov-16 23:06:15

Oh no 8+ in two months is way too much. Actually I think this is only his 4th or 5th ear infection in 1 year. He's had sinus issues too which has been 2 lots of the antibiotics. I think he was treated for periorbital cellulitis although i'm not convinced it was that as his eyes were dodgy again a couple of month's later. From May - August we had 6 loads of antibiotics & then got an amazing break of 2 months.
This is his 1st cold of the winter.
It may be viral. But he's not snotty & it usually snottiest, sore throat or sore ear thatales him sick.
I don't think it is a sickness bug as he's only been sick once & then running about after it.
Surprisingly he doesn't seem prone to them touch wood. He's had a couple but 90% of the time he's sick it's linked to ent.

I will take hI'm to GP tomorrow to keep on pestering them.
I think he needs an ent referral so hoping they will get sicK of the sight of me 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now