Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu spray

(9 Posts)
hemel07 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:40:01

My ds had his flu nasal spray on Friday at school and today (Sunday) has come down with a high temp, headache and a sore neck. Not sure if this is this a coincidence or possible side effect? Has anyone elses dc suffered any side effects at all? He has had some calpol but is feeling pretty miserable.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sun 06-Nov-16 19:54:09

It's a dead vaccine so it cannot give you flu. It's more likely he was about to get ill anyway.

hemel07 Sun 06-Nov-16 20:06:57

I thought the spray was a live vaccine?

Idefix Sun 06-Nov-16 20:07:07

The sore neck part would make me ask for some advice 111/out of hours?

The nasal flu spray is a live vaccine and does cause expected side-effect in more than one in ten children - stuffy/runny nose, headaches, muscle/joint pain, malaise, temperature symptoms, nausea. These symptoms can vary in severity but shouldn't last too long.

IMO the sore neck thing would have me concerned about getting professional advice op.

Hope ds feels better soon.

hemel07 Sun 06-Nov-16 20:40:18

I know, the sore neck thing always frightens me. Its only one side though, so thought was more likely to be a gland. The calpol has helped a bit and he's now only complaining of tummy ache.

HeCantBeSerious Sun 06-Nov-16 20:41:16

It's a deactivated virus. Side effects similar to but less severe as flu are likely.

Idefix Sun 06-Nov-16 20:46:07

Glad the Calpol has kicked in, it not nice to see them so miserable when they are ill.

hazeyjane Sun 06-Nov-16 20:52:25

The flu spray is a live vaccine.

The NHS says common side effects are

Common side effects of the flu nasal spray vaccine
•a runny or blocked nose
•headache
•general tiredness
•loss of appetite

Dd2 had these effects some wheeziness and a rash after hers. We had her checked out at the Drs because of the wheeziness, and she said it was probably a reaction to the spray.

Maybe check with Dr tomorrow if neck is still sore.

hemel07 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:04:49

He's asleep now, hopefully he'll be feeling better tomorrow, otherwise I'll get him checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now