Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsillitis

(13 Posts)
PrincessPink999 Fri 04-Nov-16 22:18:09

Any tips for relief from the pain? My dd(17) is suffering very badly. She is crying that something is stuck in her throat. She never complains about anything. We've been to GP and she has antibiotics.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 04-Nov-16 22:30:06

Lozenges with anaesthetic in them, or gargling with soluble aspirin help. Be careful that she doesn't take aspirin with paracetamol though. There is also an anaesthetic throat spray, but I'm not sure if this is prescription only.
If you can't get anything to help and she can't sleep, call out of hours for further advice.

PrincessPink999 Fri 04-Nov-16 23:05:26

Thanks that's really helpful

user1470997562 Fri 04-Nov-16 23:14:51

I think the important thing to prevent feeling utterly wretched (and vomiting) for me was keeping temperature down. I was advised to alternate two painkillers, taking them every few hours, but sorry I can't remember which (maybe aspirin and paracetamol but please check).

Gargling with salt water. There is an anaesthetic throat spray you can buy from the pharmacy (I'm pretty sure without prescription) that's quite effective for pain relief. Ultra chloraseptic.

It's a horrible illness. But she should start to feel better within two or three days I think with AB.

I got it every year for about 8 years around that age. Then it just stopped and I've not had it since.

Badders123 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:52:16

Staggered Pain relief every 2 hours
So...
Paracetamol
Then
Ibuprofen etc
Difflam throat spray
Ice pops?
Hot lemon drink

Badders123 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:52:55

If she can have it - soluble co codamol is great for gargling with

123bananas Sun 06-Nov-16 14:01:53

You need difflam, soluble paracetamol and ibuprofen. When I had glandular fever gargling and spitting out soluble aspirin helped. Warm salt water gargling too. Ice cubes and ice lollies.

How many days of the antibiotics has she done?

MarchEliza2 Sun 06-Nov-16 14:18:31

Was in A&E with this for my 20 month old DD. Raging temperature, heart rate and vomiting.

Does your DD need antibiotics? Mine is on them and it was the only thing that helped mine earlier in the year.

I also found a throat spray (over the counter) worked to soothe the pain

PrincessPink999 Sun 06-Nov-16 16:24:42

Thanks everyone. 3 days of antibiotics so far. Regular and staggered pain relief but still very sore throat and pain in ear as well. Very lethargic and still has temperature. It's really knocked her for six. I'm going to suggest gargling - suspect it won't be welcomed!!

Bluntness100 Sun 06-Nov-16 16:37:07

How often does she get it? My daughter had chronic tonsillitis, as in escalating to literally every two weeks on anti biotics, eventually they said she had to have them out. She was resilient to many anti biotics as she'd had it so much and she couldn't keep on taking them. She was about 14 when they said enough.

The day of the operation the surgeon sent her home when he did his pre round, as they were still so infected he couldn't operate, even though she was ok at that point , she had to go onto really strong anti biotics and then come back a week later, to see if it reduced them any.

He did then operate the following week and said he'd never seen anything like it. When he touched the left one it exploded and they sent samples of it for biopsy. As the gunge went down her throat, she was sick as a dog after. It was done under general aneasthetic.

She started getting it at about two or three years old and genuinely all you can do is wait for the anti biotics to kick in, and I speak as someone who had literally years of this. There was times she struggled to breath and there was times I had to emergency register at a doctors if we weren't at home to get her seen to i.e. During bad snow and couldn't get to hospital. Her throat would close up that much.

Soft foods help, nothing to hot, lots of fluids, but it's shit, it really is. Just keep an eye on how it escalates and how often she gets it. They are so reticent to remove them these days, that it gets to such a bad stage before they act and in hindsight I should have pressured them or went private.

IwillrunIwillfly Sun 06-Nov-16 16:38:48

If you can get difflam spray from the chemist it works really well for tonsillitis pain. Shes also old enough for cocodomol instead of just paracetamol. Wouldn't recommend she takes it all the time but maybe at whatever time she finds the pain the worst? Really cold water/juice can help too and make sure she takes small amounts often to stop her throat getting dry. I found really cold chocolate milk quite soothing. Hope she's on the mend soon!

OhThatThingAgain Sun 06-Nov-16 16:56:28

Just getting over a recurrence of it again myself. It's horrible.

Warm hot water bottle on pillow for earache and cooled down tepid clear chicken broth for the throat. And also the meds people have mentioned on here.

If you can get the kosher type broth that comes in a powder (Sainsbury's do it) it works for me, just a few small sips from a mug every hour to keep me hydrated and my electrolytes up.

Other than that a comfy bed, Netflix and lots of sympathy. It's a scourge, she has my upmost sympathy flowers

DollopofTrollop Sun 06-Nov-16 17:09:00

Bless her .... Tonsillitis is hell. I had mine out at 15 after years of agony.
Unfortunately at 40 I started with pharyngitis which they say is viral .... As evil as tonsillitis but took me a week to convince them I needed antibiotics!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now