Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yr old fell at soft play and can't bear weight on that foot

(10 Posts)
StrongTeaHotShower Fri 04-Nov-16 07:26:56

She was jumping and landed on a soft mat bit hurt herself.

She cried for about half an hour and the first aider at the leisure centre had a look and thought it was just a sprain.

She fell asleep on the way home and I put her to bed so it's only this morning I noticed she can't walk at all . She is a very active girl who has ignored pain before and hobbled through it but not today.

There's zero swelling and of course I'll get her to the gp ASAP but can anyone advise or shed any light beforehand?

Whitetulipofpeace Fri 04-Nov-16 07:33:51

My DC did that at that age. I left it until the next day to see how she was and took her the next day. They gave her am x-ray and in the office afterwards she decided then to get down and make a few steps. She was absolutely fine, no break. It is most likely a sprain but you won't know for sure unless she has an x ray so of you're still concerned it's okay to take her for an x ray.

Loulou2kent Fri 04-Nov-16 07:47:34

Best to take her to get checked out. My son fell off a climbing frame at 3, wouldn't walk the rest of the day. Happened at 10am. Took him home put him on sofa & through the day tried to encourage him with biscuits etc, but he wouldn't move. I had to carry him to the toilet. At 6pm, DP came home & he tried too. We took him a&e & sure enough he had broken his leg. blush. There were a lot of questions as to why we hadn't taken him sooner!

It's possible it's sprained, but you just don't know until it's x-rayed.

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 04-Nov-16 07:49:24

a&e (or minors if they have x-ray facilities)
you don't want to miss a break.
good luck!

sooperdooper Fri 04-Nov-16 07:49:46

Unless you can get in at the GP this morning I'd take a trip to a&e for an X-Ray

MrsJayy Fri 04-Nov-16 07:52:58

When 1 of mine broke her foot (was the bit footballers break) she had no swelling at all. Take her to either minor injuries or a &e if you go to the gp they would send you anyway.

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 04-Nov-16 07:54:53

no to gp, they don't have the facilities.

Witchend Fri 04-Nov-16 10:02:30

It may well be soft tissue but you can't tell without an x-ray.
Ds stepped down a step in the garden when he was about 18 months. A small step, not more than 4" high. He fell, cried a little, and refused to stand on it. He was really tired so I took him off to bed. Next morning he still couldn't weight bear so I took him to A&E where they x-rayed and concluded probably soft tissue.
Two weeks later (and many more x-rays later) he still couldn't weight bear and concern was mounting from me and the GP.
Next day he wanted something and stood up and limped.
However he was limping with his foot twisted sideways. So back for more x-rays etc.
Still nothing found.
It was about 2 weeks later (and a whole lot more of hospital appointments trying to find out what was going on) that he was limping across the room, suddenly stopped and put his foot down and walked properly. No problems since.

So I assume it was a soft tissue injury. He found it hurt to walk initially so refused to try. When he tried after two weeks he found it didn't hurt too much if he walked with his foot held sideways, so he walked like that until it was habit.

But even the GP wouldn't call on anything without an x-ray. So you need to get it checked.

Olympiathequeen Fri 04-Nov-16 10:13:15

Could be pulled muscles and tendons around the hip or knee or even a green stick fracture. I would go to minor injuries.

StrongTeaHotShower Fri 04-Nov-16 15:07:57

Thanks for all the replies. We went to a+e and she's fine thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now