Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5year olds toenails!? Normal!??

(8 Posts)
ellie333 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:32:27

Does anyone elses child have toenails like this. Weve been to drs many times over them, and theyve always said they arent concerned as they'll flatten out as his feet grow.. They were tested and are not fungal (im not convinced!?) he's never had a nail on one of them cos the nail bed is like a dot. And he's 5 now :-/

CornedBeef451 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:41:39

Yes! My DS has the same nails and he is 5 too. He does have all 5 on each foot though but otherwise exactly the same. My DD, now 8, has similar nails and seems to be normalising so I am hoping DS does too. Many of my Aunts (5 on DM side) have no little toenails at all so I think the missing one is fine too.

ellie333 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:58:15

Really? Thats reassuring thanks! I was feeling like drs were just fobbing me off cos they didnt actually know what the problem was. They said knocks and ill fitting shoes can cause odd toenails in kids but i always have him measured for his shoes etc. So wasnt convinced. They dont bother him too much, tho he hates getting them cut, and they hurt when they are long cos they dont grow flat and catch on his socks and shoes etc. Wish theyd sort themselves out quicker to save the nail cutting battle!

nailslikeknives Thu 03-Nov-16 23:04:25

Sorry I can't help with the unusual toenails side but if it helps at all, my eldest used to throw all kinds of hissy fits having his toenails cut until I bought the little nippers clippers. They have a hole/window so you (and they) can see exactly what you're cutting.

ellie333 Fri 04-Nov-16 07:57:55

Ahh Yeah ive seen those, they are designed by that apprentice winner arent they? May be worth trying if he keeps fighting them being cut! Thanks for the tip! :-)

nailslikeknives Fri 04-Nov-16 17:58:57

Those are the ones.
Good luck

SunFinished Fri 04-Nov-16 18:04:08

Some of them look like fungal infection??

ellie333 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:55:24

Yeah i think they do too but they were tested for fungal infection and tests came back negative! He was born with them like this too. Not sure u can b born with fungal nails :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now