Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipation with weaning

(11 Posts)
cherrypiemay16 Sun 30-Oct-16 12:50:57

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any good tips for constipated babies. My 6 month old has become intermittently constipated since weaning although has all fruit and veg, including lots of prunes, apricots, apples and pears. Anything else I could add? Does anyone give prune juice? Trying to avoid banana, potato, 'sticky' foods. Is brown sugar water actually a thing?!
Thanks! smile

Brankolium Mon 31-Oct-16 13:03:32

Are you offering normal water every time you give food?

And how constipated are we talking?

cherrypiemay16 Sat 05-Nov-16 09:50:56

Yes I have been offering water tho he tends to just spit it out. I've added water to some of his purée too. Some pretty hard lumps to pass, I'm surprised nothing has torn to be honest! We are now on lactulose and having glycerin suppositories when it gets really hard. Tends to clear and soften then has another episode. Bit frustrating, wasn't sure if it was a normal part of weaning. GP said to crack on with the weaning tho... smile

Artandco Sat 05-Nov-16 09:55:20

It sounds like you are giving too much too early. If he's still 6 months he should have only just started weaning. Generally only offer one meal at 6 months, 2 meals by 7 months etc, so they are eating three meals a day by 8-9months not 6 months

I would drop back all meals to just milk, and offer just some porridge at breakfast ( a few small spoons), and some steamed veg with dinner (while they can feed themselves). If you purée they are likely to take in more too quickly

Artandco Sat 05-Nov-16 09:57:23

If you stop pureeing also it's Bette root child to digest as a whole steamed broccoli floret will have the fibre in in for them to help digest but it's broken down if you purée

cherrypiemay16 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:26:31

We've been advised by the paediatrician to wean quickly due to allergies/reflux, sorry I should've said. I guess that probably doesn't help, his tummys having to adjust quickly but they are adamant it's the best thing for him (and he is more settled, sleeping better etc). Yes good idea with the larger finger food, I need to try that. Thanks for the advice smile

chanel223 Mon 07-Nov-16 18:25:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Artandco Mon 07-Nov-16 18:26:45

Oh yes try fennel tea. Babies in Germany have it from a week old

cherrypiemay16 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:22:24

Oh yes, I've tried drinking that to help with his wind before, didn't know it was good for pooping too, thanks! wink

Artandco Mon 07-Nov-16 19:55:43

Yes you can give him fennel tea straight, no need for you to drink it to affect him

DariaJask95 Tue 22-Nov-16 04:42:28

We give my LO mushed apple after her meal and that gets her going. Even few spoons. And when she doesn't take it straight after wait an hour and try again. apples are great for constipation and of course plenty of water smile

my LO loved carrots, she would have it with everything, but it made her constipated as soon as we cut down a little on it, it made some improvement that and water and apple :p

I hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now