Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS abnormal gait

(12 Posts)
whinetasting Thu 27-Oct-16 23:10:41

My DS(6) has recently started doing junior park run with his older sister. He's a big lad for his age, but we've always joked about his clumsiness and lack of coordination. However, watching him run I'm feeling a bit concerned- he seems to flail along, running almost sideways with his right side leading.
He's extremely slow- tries really hard but often comes last, and is overtaken by the 4 year olds.
I'm just a bit concerned that he's got something wrong with his gait- he seems fine walking normally but always insists on holding our hand in case he falls over. He also complains randomly about legs and feet hurting, but never anything we can really pin down, or for a sustained period of time. He's also started doing football after school, and is getting upset about never being picked because everyone thinks he's "rubbish". sad
I showed a video to the GP who said it looked a bit unusual, but as he had no other symptoms and was otherwise fine, he was probably just uncoordinated. She also said that she couldn't think of where she'd refer him!
I know I'm a bit sensitive about him, as I had a medical issue when pregnant: was told he'd probably be a very low birthweight child and to prepare myself for possible cerebral palsy, developmental delay etc. When he was born at a whopping 5.5lbs(!), ate himself to the 90th percentile in 6 months, and hit all his milestones I think I stopped worrying. He's extremely bright and sociable- I'm just worrying that "something" got missed, and perhaps there is something I need to do. However, I'm at a loss where to start. We're in London, and have healthcare through my work, which might help if anyone can recommend anything.
Or just tell me to stop worrying. smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Oct-16 23:12:59

I would see a physio and take it from there.

SpeckledyBanana Thu 27-Oct-16 23:13:21

Quick chat with a Physio, perhaps?

whinetasting Thu 27-Oct-16 23:15:31

Can a physio diagnose? I thought you had to be referred once you knew what the problem was?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Oct-16 23:17:22

A physio can diagnose. If you go the nhs route you are referred to one but as you have private you just go directly to them.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Oct-16 23:17:59

A physio can refer you to your GP or suggest a scan if necessary.

Mistletoekids Thu 27-Oct-16 23:20:10

Or paediatric outpatients general clinic

Lilianne Thu 27-Oct-16 23:30:08

Sounds like he might need insoles - agree, a children's physio should be able to say

whinetasting Thu 27-Oct-16 23:32:09

Right. A plan. I didn't realise I could go straight to physio so I'll sort it. I just want to be sure that I'm doing all I can or need to.

whinetasting Thu 27-Oct-16 23:34:17

Just read the insoles suggestion- thank you. I hadn't thought about something like that- I went immediately to the worst case scenario in my head!
Thanks for the physio thoughts- feel very stupid that I didn't realise I could go direct.

Molly333 Thu 27-Oct-16 23:39:43

Umm doesn't sound right , I think you need a second opinion .im an occupational therapist and my concern is how is this impacting on his joints, this long term may cause a few issues . Go see another doctor if nothing else to ease your worry

Ipsie Thu 27-Oct-16 23:46:46

Could be dyspraxia, hyper mobility or a range of other often undiagnosed problems. Remember, Doctors are general practitioners - not specialists. Def see a physio, if you can go private do so. Diagnosis will be a lot sooner than NHS and likely if an accurate one is higher. I was an adult before I was diagnosed with hyper mobility & mild dyspraxia. Just used to think I was clumsy confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now