Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yo snoring and golf ball tonsils!

(3 Posts)
hanban89 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:01:45

My DD1 is 4 and last over last winter Got tonsillitis every 2-4 weeks. In total maybe 12 times. Often requiring antibiotics. She hasn't had it since May now, but has ever since snored really loudly and often wakes at night. Her tonsils are HUGE! Before the tonsillitis she never woke up or snored.
She is also very nasally, and sounds as though she has a cold all the time!
She is also very tired a lot of the time due to the night waking.
Does anyone know why they have stayed huge and is there anything that can be done?

MerylPeril Thu 27-Oct-16 22:08:31

I took DD to docs for snoring (very loud) and they found massive tonsils and blocked sinuses so we were referred to ENT.
By the time we saw ENT snoring had stopped (think sinuses cleared) but they were still keen to remove them.
DD has never had tonsillitis or even a sore throat so I refused - I didn't see the point.

Nearly 2 years down the line they have shrunk a bit, but she doesn't snore and they don't bother her.

I think they will probably suggest removing them if they've had issues - it used to be a standard thing years ago. If we'd been getting tonsillitis I would have been keener to do it.

Clockworklemon Thu 27-Oct-16 22:52:01

Get it checked out now rather than waiting for the next episode of tonsillitis, she will hopefully be referred, and hopefully to a sleep clinic. I know 2 children who have recently had similar and both are like different children having had their tonsils/adenoids removed. Both children's speech have improved also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now