Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poo whilst teething...

(13 Posts)
MummaBear31 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:49:29

My 11 week old is currently teething and has had a couple of runny pops. The NHS website says there is no evidence they could be linked with the teething but gp says they could??

LO is formula fed and normally poos once a day, the last couple of days he has been doing one normal poo then one in the evening that's really runny and yellow. Not sure if it is coincidence with the teething? He hasn't been sick, no fever and feeding fairly regularly. I'm a ftm and not sure if I should be worried?!

Nowthereistwo Sun 23-Oct-16 20:51:36

Teething poos can be really acidic and runny. It's the only time our dds every get nappy rash.

NickNacks Sun 23-Oct-16 20:51:50

Without sounding patronising, what makes you think they are teething. I only ask because many parents feel sure only for a tooth to not appear for some months still.

NickNacks Sun 23-Oct-16 20:52:16

Sorry forgot the question mark.

MummaBear31 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:52:22

Also used to make bottles up using cooled boiled water and adding formula as and when but this week changed to keeping boiled water in a thermos to keep it at 70 degrees so it kills bacteria in the formula when we make it up...could this make a different? I've got it in my head that we are killing nutrients in the formula! Sorry for long post blush

HeCantBeSerious Sun 23-Oct-16 20:53:39

Yep. There is a link. The teething makes more saliva, which they swallow and which has this effect.

MummaBear31 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:53:44

NickNacks,

I can see the bottom two teeth and got Gp to check to make sure I wasn't being mad!

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 23-Oct-16 20:55:04

I think pretty much every mother on the planet disagrees with the official stance that teething doesn't affect poo. Dd had horrid, vile poo when she was teething, her nappies would get caustic and she'd get blisters on her labia. They got so bad during a particularly long spell of teething that she had to have steroid creams to clear them up, you can still see the scar (she's 8 but walks around naked a lot). Ds2 had distinctive teething poo too, looser than normal and with a very distinctive horrible smell.

NickNacks Sun 23-Oct-16 20:55:18

Wasn't trying to be funny btw! I was convinced at 3 months but dd didn't get her first until 11m blush

MummaBear31 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:56:57

That's ok, I thought I was mad thinking he was teething so early!

And they are particularly smelly confused

Doje Sun 23-Oct-16 21:00:11

DS1 had runny, acidic poos when teething. Although the website says there's no evidence it's connected, I read somewhere that it could be that when kids are teething, they put more things in their mouths to chew on etc, so therefore ingesting more germs, hence the runny poos.

I wouldn't be worried (please note, I have no medical training whatsoever!!!!) but I only start to worry if there's a fever I can't contain with Calpol, or no wet/dirty nappies.

CheeseAtFourpence Sun 23-Oct-16 21:00:54

Oh yes - hideous, runny, yellow and really strong smelling. Only during teething. Never before or after. Horrendous nappy rash too that only Metanium helped with.

MummaBear31 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:06:18

Sounds exactly the same, and this are definitely a new thing (bleurgh)

I did read about how it could be through babies putting more things in their mouths but he hasn't quite got the coordination for that yet so the only thing that goes in his mouth is his own fists smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now