Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Colds and coughs lasting a while

(5 Posts)
vcrees6 Tue 11-Oct-16 09:32:39

I was wondering whether other toddlers coughs and colds regularly last 3 weeks plus?

My almost 3 year old has had his first cough/cold of the winter season and it's coming up to the 3 week mark and no sign of getting better.

Last winter he had about 4 of these bugs which lasted at least 3 and the longest 6 weeks.

- is this just normal especially if he can't blow his nose yet?
- could it be more than one bug rolling into each especially as he has just started nursery (2 mornings a week)

The thing that made me think was that his nursery school teacher said that his cough seemed bad. Given he would have exposure and bug picking up from the other nursery school children (only child, no recent play dates or outings with other children/sick people present) I can only assume at least 1 other would have had the same bug but not as bad coughing.

Daisyandbabies Sat 15-Oct-16 22:14:13

Probably other viruses rolled into one. Although, according to my gp, it's normal for a cough to last for up to 3 weeks at that age

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 15-Oct-16 22:17:51

sounds like one after another rather than one.
first winter in nursery/school is usually tough. so make sure dc gets plenty of rest and good nutrition. also getting used to good hand washing can help a lot.

TheJunctionBaby Mon 17-Oct-16 16:05:42

Give high dose vitamin c at the first sign of symptoms. Also a daily dose of vitamin d3 + k2 drops and a good a probiotic like biokult for kids. By bolstering his immune system he should be less susceptible to circulating bugs and if he does get anything he'll recover much quicker.

vcrees6 Tue 18-Oct-16 18:13:26

Thanks for your inputs - some useful ideas here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now