Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting the Men B vaccine done privately

(11 Posts)
nappyrat Mon 03-Oct-16 09:33:32

Hi all - I had the first bit of two part vaccine (my DS is 3) done at Boot and it was an experience I don't wish to repeat - the pharmacist giving the jab was clearly not used to handling that age of child. 3 attempts and a lot of (DS) tears later, she finally managed it. Needless to say, for the booster, I am keen to go elsewhere.

By elsewhere, I am thinking I want it done by either a GP or nurse so they know how to administer needles to 3 year olds, which Boots did not.

Has anyone got any thoughts here - all the private GPs I am calling are quoting almost double what Boots are charging (£175 v £90 at Boots).

Surely there must be an option close to the £90 mark that is not Boots...help please! Thanks.

GrumpusLumpus Mon 03-Oct-16 09:36:43

It really depends on where you are located. Try googling for the local travel clinic which well may be a private pharmacy. We've had very good luck getting our private jabs through one.

LittleBearPad Mon 03-Oct-16 09:41:22

Unfortunately the higher prices you quote were pretty much what I was told when I looked into it.

Boots are using their buying power to be able to offer the jab considerably more cheaply than other private providers.

Can you go to a different boots - might be a better person giving the jabs. Either that or you almost certainly have to pay more.

LittleBearPad Mon 03-Oct-16 09:42:23

And there's no guarantee the private clinic will be any better with three year olds. With the exception of chicken pox and no men B they aren't going to see many three year olds.

SleepFreeZone Mon 03-Oct-16 09:44:32

We have had the opposite experience with Boots. My three year old had the first injection in Sept (from memory) and is back to have the second injection this evening. Very professional, no fuss, no pain, great price. I couldn't fault them.

TheEmperorsHat Mon 03-Oct-16 09:46:39

Try a different branch of boots? We had it done there and the woman who did it was fantastic with mine.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Mon 03-Oct-16 10:00:07

Try a Boots that also has a travel vaccination clinic as the pharmacist there will have more experience vaccinating children. But to be honest three year olds are the most difficult and it's very rare not to have tears. Were you shown how to hold your child correctly for vaccination?

nappyrat Mon 03-Oct-16 10:03:57

Thank you so much all.

I went to a Boots in Northamptonshire. The pharmacist was lovely but just clearly did not vaccinate 3 year olds routinely. She didn't even tell me to hold her arm down, just told me to distract her. Anyway, it was;t good.

But good to hear other Boots have been good.

I will try a private pharmacy - good idea.

Thanks all, appreciated.

SleepFreeZone Mon 03-Oct-16 10:17:03

The Boots we used was the Interchange Bedford, so not a million miles away.

MaximumVolume Mon 03-Oct-16 10:28:13

Boots in Leamington did my 4 yo in August & will be doing 2nd one tonight. No tears, absolutely fine.

theclockticksslowly Thu 06-Oct-16 13:32:54

I took my 3 year old for her first men b vaccine at a private clinic and although tears it was over before she knew about. Nurse was very fast. I took her for her second one at boots a couple weeks back (easier for me to get to) and it was awful. She was very upset and the pharmacist was very hesitant - just said she needs to be still with her arm hanging down. Didn't have the needle ready - wanted her still and in position before even getting it out. My daughter did calm down and was still but by the time the pharmacist got the needle out of the box she started panicking again. Pharmacist put it all back in the box and was waiting for her to be still again. I ended up saying we'll have to do it another time and going. I've booked her back in to the private place - she'll know what she's there for and unlikely to be very cooperative but I think there's more chance of a nurse who does injections more often and who is more confident (pharmacist looked terrified!) being able to do it. I hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now