Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Really worried about baby

(17 Posts)
sammyjayneex Fri 30-Sep-16 21:09:44

So I've been breastfeeding my baby who is 5 months old but the past two weeks he's not been pooing as much as usual and my let down whilst breastfeeding isn't happening and you can tell he's getting stressed with it. I don't know what's happening. Breastfeeding has always gone well. I don't know what to do. I got him weighed 4 weeks ago and he had put on weight but in really worried now. I've been spotting as well for 2 weeks. I had a proper period about 6 weeks ago and now I'm spotting. What's happening??

sammyjayneex Fri 30-Sep-16 21:10:30

Sorry meant 4 months old

whifflesqueak Fri 30-Sep-16 21:14:21

if he's gaining weight I doubt you have anything to worry about.

breastfed babies sometimes don't poo for days and days.

also I found my let down became less apparent after a while.

whifflesqueak Fri 30-Sep-16 21:15:31

can you get him weighed again?

Haggisfish Fri 30-Sep-16 21:18:17

Could you be pg? My dc would go days between poos at that age-they are very efficient.

Pinkkahori Fri 30-Sep-16 21:21:30

On both my dc I found that let down sensation diminshed a lot as the weeks went on and wouldn't have been noticable by 4 months.

Fuckingbollocksbugger Fri 30-Sep-16 21:24:56

This all sounds very normal - at that age my DS suddenly started going 4-5 days between poos, and now your supply is established it's very normal not to feel get down.

Fuckingbollocksbugger Fri 30-Sep-16 21:25:06

Let down!

Boredomismyenemy Fri 30-Sep-16 21:25:29

My period returned 4 weeks after I gave birth but I fed my DD for a year. Every month with my period she would become fussy at the breast, let down less apparent and boobs didn't feel full as such but once the period was over things were back to normal. It's possible that the return of your period and hormones all over the place is causing a dip in supply. It was only temporary for me. Babies are very efficient so as long as gaining weight I'd not be concerned. Might be worth getting him weighed to keep an eye on it.

sammyjayneex Fri 30-Sep-16 21:25:43

I went yesterday to get him weighed but we left before we had chance because the woman was so rude. What happened was we went to this clinic we had never been before and was told to wait at the end of the corridor and when we got there we thought we had to wait in this community room so my husband walked in and the health visitor started shouting 'shut the door' at us aggressively. So we just left we couldn't use the facilities after being spoken to like that. He was only asking her where we are supposed to wait. Now we will have to wait till next Thursday's as clinics only run in a Thursday. Im so worried

Fuckingbollocksbugger Fri 30-Sep-16 21:25:50

Also re the spotting, that also happened to me and it was just part of my periods returning.

Fuckingbollocksbugger Fri 30-Sep-16 21:26:42

I think you need to relax a bit, you are overthinking this. Is baby still having wet nappies? If so he is getting enough, don't worry!!

1sttimemama1986 Fri 30-Sep-16 21:28:54

I don't think you need to be worried. As far as I know gem going to bf support groups the babies can go 10 days when bf. My Lo has gone a week before now tends to go every 4 days. Try not to worry x

SummerRains Fri 30-Sep-16 21:29:48

You could phone to speak to your health visitor on Monday - or leave a message if she is not available or ask for any health visitor in the team to speak to you. You do not need to mention what happened on Thursday. Hopefully that will help before next Thursday.

StarBurger Fri 30-Sep-16 21:33:56

Pop into mothercare they have scales for care seats

youcantgoback Fri 30-Sep-16 22:23:50

If you are still worried, go to your gp, or the nurse at the surgery. NEVER, EVER judge your concerns. You are a good mum taking care of your baby. It's understandable that you want to check all is ok. And you will have the peace of mind you need to sleep!

sammyjayneex Fri 30-Sep-16 22:26:13

Thank you all. He has been having wet nappies. He doesn't seem distressed or anything. It's just worrying because it's so sudden

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now