Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are children's vitamins worth it?

(15 Posts)
MamOfTwo Mon 26-Sep-16 16:46:43

After a weekend of family illness (sore throats, colds, coughs), I am debating whether we all need vitamins to stave off any more autumn/winter bugs. To be honest, we don't tend to get loads of bugs but keen to avoid any more if we can. Do your children take vitamins? Are they worth it? Which ones should I get? Is a simply following a good diet the right answer instead? DC are 5 and 8.

MamOfTwo Sat 01-Oct-16 17:41:50

Wee bump...

Paddingtonthebear Sat 01-Oct-16 17:45:18

My almost 4yr old has been taking multivitamins for two years plus. We started with abidec liquid and she's now on Bassetts multivitamins with omega 3. I have no idea if they make a difference. Her diet is good generally. She is never ill. Some peoples kids seem to be poorly all the time. So I wonder if it's mainly down to luck!

JammyDodger16 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:45:35

Dd has a balanced diet and vitamins. We never remember to have them every day, more likely every other / every 3 and she is very rarely I'll. I'm not really so it may just be in the genes, not sure. I get ones which are like jelly sweets and she picks her own flavour when she takes them.

I just use them as a top up / back up in case she hasn't got everything from her diet. Goodness knows if they help.

I also heard synthetic vitamins aren't great for them but haven't found any reliable info on this yet.

I would say concentrate on diet and use them as a top up

JammyDodger16 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:46:26

Oh and we but Haliborange

elfonshelf Sat 01-Oct-16 18:19:08

Vitamin D supplements are recommended for all children - I understand that the Scottish government are on top of this, but not in England and even with an Rx they're not always easy to get as supplies run out. There is evidence to suggest that things like MS can be influenced by low Vit D and in this country it's very common for children to be deficient.

WinchesterWoman Sat 01-Oct-16 18:22:35

I would not vitamin d at all. Its not really a vitamin but a sort of synthetic hormone. I love to take supplements but aren't the kids versions just a bit like sweets?

Brontebiscuits Sat 01-Oct-16 18:26:34

Winchester I don't understand your post - vit d is a synthetic hormone? Can you explain a bit more?

WinchesterWoman Sat 01-Oct-16 18:29:18

I'm sorry I'm not in a position to explain but wiki does in it a neutral way - Google vitamin d synthetic hormone. Other websites give the same info but are much more BEWARE vit d, which can be a little off putting.

WinchesterWoman Sat 01-Oct-16 18:29:58

Put it this way, we binned all our vit d after I read up on it!

WinchesterWoman Sat 01-Oct-16 18:31:16

It's like a steroid hormone, I'm sorry I just can't explain:/

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Oct-16 18:34:42

WinchesterWoman is sort of right vitaminD is essential in an awful lot of body processes and in some ways acts like a hot one in regulating various things. However, this is why it is so important we supplement with it.

As long as you are not giving your child megadose vitamins they are very unlikely to do any harm and may do some good. DD has a shit diet, and multivitamins.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Oct-16 18:35:57

www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/

gertyglossop Sat 01-Oct-16 18:39:38

My 4 year old has been taking the Bassetts multivitamins daily since she was 2. Her diet is balanced. She gets the occasional cold but they are always very mild (a bit of sniffing) and last no more than a couple of days.

As a previous poster said, this may be down to luck rather than the vits.

BumWad Tue 04-Oct-16 11:58:44

DS was 2 months prem so has always been on vitamins (Dalivit). We have them prescribed.
A lot of food is fortified anyway (cereals etc.) so isn't that the same thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now