Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler croup

(3 Posts)
jellymum1704 Sat 24-Sep-16 13:00:43

Need some advice please.DS 18 months had a nasty wheeze couple of days back so we took him to a&e where he was administered a steroid for croup. His wheezing stopped but he's has this horrible dry cough with fever since yesterday which kept him up most nights. He's quite exhausted now and doesn't sleep unless it's on one of our laps. He's eating and drinking ok but breathing is slightly faster than normal. I called up 111 who said they will have our nearest clinic call up with an appointment to see him today. He doesn't have a runny nose so am worried what this could be? Are there any tips to make him more comfortable

NicknameUsed Sat 24-Sep-16 13:05:22

Croup is when the airway becomes inflamed, usually due to an upper respiratory infection. You don't always see a runny nose with it. DD last had croup when she was 11 one news year's eve. I managed to get an out of hours appointment when I rang on new year's day, as they could hear the racket DD was making when she coughed. She had developed a chest infection as well.

It's possible that this has happened with your toddler as well. I hope you get to see a doctor soon and your little boy feels better soon.

Superstar90 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:14:07

Hope you got to a dr yesterday op. Take him to a and e if in any doubt. They can have two doses of the steroid. Also you'll want to rule out viral wheeze - a steroid inhaler might help him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now