Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Aptamil anti reflux...Any experience?

(6 Posts)
CurlyChick1 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:23:05

My 7 week old has all the symptoms of silent reflux and after keeping her upright and sleeping at an angle for the past few days has been like a different baby...Happy and smiling, not screaming herself to sleep and draining most of her bottles but still uncomfortable at feed time.
Visited gp today who prescribed infant gaviscon. After first dose she became unsettled and gradually got more upset as the day went on and more milk with gaviscon went down. She stopped wanting to drink her milk although she was hungry and seemed to be in pain. Was like all reflux symptoms were worse and she also had a really windy tum. Ended up with us both in tears at around 9pm, her in pain and hungry and me not knowing what to do. Stopped adding gaviscon to milk and managed to get 4 ounces down her an hour ago. she is now more settled although has had a really upset tummy.
Thinking of giving aptamil anti reflux a try, just wondering if anyone has used this with any success? Really can't face giving her gaviscon again. Can anyone suggest anything else?

cockadoodledoooo Sat 24-Sep-16 00:50:03

Hi op, I haven't tried that one but my dd had silent acid reflux, it is so sad to see them in pain isn't it.

After being given lots of different potions and formula trials I did a bit of research and demanded the dr prescribe Enfamil AR. She was a different baby over night.
We stopped using the reflux medicine and made sure she has cooled water to drink between feeds and Nike movement with her legs to encourage bowl movements (as AR is added rice starch and the impact can be constipation).

Good luck with the formula.

CurlyChick1 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:16:51

It's just awful, especially knowing that I gave her the gaviscon. She's soich better this morning without.
Thanks will look into that formula. I'll give the aptamil a go as ordered it with the shopping.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 24-Sep-16 07:27:54

I used it with ds it's not a magic cure but it certainly did help. I also found gaviscon made him worse but I also can't use it so had just put it down to being some weird genetic thing.

You will need size 3 teats for the formula as it is much thicker, I didn't discover this until after making up a bottle and my poor newborn not being able to get any out so having to do a late night dash to tesco with a screaming baby

Middleoftheroad Sat 24-Sep-16 07:45:27

A milk thickener changed our lives with reflux! I cant recall what it was called but I do believe it's called Carobel.

CurlyChick1 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:42:54

Thanks middle that sounds promising. The formula is made using carobel. Just waiting for my husband to get back with size 3 teats and we'll give it a try. Would just love to see my lo drink a bottle without pain and discomfort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now