Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby poo...or not as the case may be

(6 Posts)
maybethedayafter Thu 15-Sep-16 23:06:21

DD2 is 12 weeks old (6 weeks corrected). She is exclusively breastfed and usually does s poo once a day. She hasn't done a poo now for 4 days. I mentioned it to the health visitor at the weight clinic today and she said if she still hasn't done a poo by tomorrow to take her to the doctor and he can give something to help as she's so uncomfortable and it's stopping her from sleeping. What would the doctor do? Would he prescribe a glycerin suppository? Or something else? TIA

FusionChefGeoff Thu 15-Sep-16 23:12:29

I'm sure I remember both of mine (also ebf but not early like yours) going to about 4/5 days at about 8 weeks - was told it was because there was so little waste with breastmilk.

But if your HV has advised to see GP I guess I would do that. No idea what they might be able to do though!

outnumberedismylife Thu 15-Sep-16 23:12:30

Am sure it's normal for breastfed babies to poo infrequently. My DS used to poo once a week around that age if I remember right.

maybethedayafter Thu 15-Sep-16 23:20:29

I know it can be normal but the HV said as she is in so much discomfort and as its not normal for her it's best to get her checked. She did say it could be because it's been so hot. She's also on 4 different medications so it could be a side effect of one of them.

Twunk Thu 15-Sep-16 23:23:05

My DS2 was 7 weeks early and in NICU they put something up his bum that made everything come out. TBH I can't remember what it was but it was miraculous! and revolting

maybethedayafter Thu 15-Sep-16 23:25:56

I think that might be a glycerin chip, DD1 had it a few times when she was in NICU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now