Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu vaccination

(7 Posts)
mintyneb Wed 14-Sep-16 16:16:15

I tried to make an appt with the GP today for 9yo DD to have her annual flu jab (she needs it due to having a long term health condition).

The receptionist quoted from a piece of paper saying that children aged 2,3 and 4 would have the nasal spray at the surgery. 'Other' children would have it at school.

This didn't seem right to me and I said that I doubted very much she would get it at school, so could I book her in at the surgery? 'No, because the piece of paper says so'

So I've checked the NHS website and yes children in years 1 2 and 3 will get the flu spray at school but it says nothing about older children (DD is in year 5)

Just wondered what arrangements other folks might have made?

madamginger Wed 14-Sep-16 16:22:40

Our local area give the flu vaccine to all children from reception to year 8, it's normally done in October/November.
Each area is different. It's done via the school nurse and a private company.

mintyneb Wed 14-Sep-16 16:25:09

That's interesting. I've got a call out with the school to see what they can tell me. I've got my own jab booked for 1st Oct so I was hoping for DD to have hers around the same time

IwillrunIwillfly Wed 14-Sep-16 19:51:27

Are you in scotland? They're rolling out the vaccine to all school children here but not sure about england.

mintyneb Wed 14-Sep-16 21:07:46

No I'm in the South East. Will see what school come back with and if they aren't doing anything for DD's year will just have to go back to the GP and hope I get a different receptionist!

lostscot Wed 14-Sep-16 21:15:20

Our school give to recp,yr1 and yr2. My older ds is yr 4 and gets his at doctors. Must vary by area....

mintyneb Thu 15-Sep-16 14:46:18

School have confirmed they are only doing years 1-3 but I've just tried the GP again and got one of the more sensible receptionists who has booked DD in to have a jab at the same time as me. Problem solved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now