Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Small lumps/bites in 6 yr olds hair

(9 Posts)
TheMissMarple Sat 10-Sep-16 07:52:20

Hi
This morning my dd showed me 6/7 little lumps in her hair on her scalp. They could be bits but don't seem to be red or have a crust etc. She says they are itchy. I can't imagine what could have bitten her and wondered if they could be an allergic reaction to a new (but mild) shampoo we have started to treat her dry scalp. Any ideas. They are too small to photo really.

Thanks

cathyandclare Sat 10-Sep-16 07:54:06

Head lice? Worth a quick go over with some conditioner and a nit comb

Believeitornot Sat 10-Sep-16 07:55:00

Nits....?

Or stop using the shampoo for a week. By dry scalp do you mean flaky? That's not necessarily dry. It would be mild excema and harsh adult products (despite being for sensitive skin) may make it worse. (My oldest gets flaky scalp and washing hair less plus using childrens mild shampoo helps).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 10-Sep-16 07:55:46

Head lice. Get her treated quickly!

EccentricPickle Sat 10-Sep-16 07:58:22

Does she have any on her body? Chicken pox?

My 5 year old was complaining of an itchy "lump" on her head. I inspected it and wondered what it was, there were a few more. Pulled her top up and there were spots on her chest. The day after she was covered head to toe!

Ledkr Sat 10-Sep-16 08:01:17

My 5 yr old has been getting this. No sign of headlice. I have no idea what they are so watching with interest.
I use a mosi bite cream in them to stop the itching.

Believeitornot Sat 10-Sep-16 08:09:21

Headline are pretty difficult to spot unless you've seen them before.

Best thing to do is get a nit comb and have a comb with wet hair then wipe on a tissue and look closely.

TheMissMarple Sat 10-Sep-16 11:26:26

Thank you all. I know what lice look like in hair and I really can't see any. I will look again but not convinced at the moment. The spots have started to look like they might crust over. They look like fly bites in her hair. Have also realised whilst we've used the shampoo twice this week the bites are near the nape of her neck not the top where she has a dry scalp and the shampoo would be concentrated. Really strange!

isthistoonosy Sat 10-Sep-16 11:28:45

Could.it be midges one of mine gets loads of midge bites around his hairline this time of year although non of the rest of do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now