Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone know what this is on my sons head?

(22 Posts)
Treetopchallenger Fri 09-Sep-16 21:21:40

Pic is not great but it's thick scaly skin with a red/brown ring of skin underneath. One patch near his hairline was picked off and was sore and looked oozy and starting to crust over again.

I have booked a doctors appointment but since it's over a week away I was hoping for some answers before hand!

quicklydecides Fri 09-Sep-16 21:24:24

Mmm, a type of psoriasis maybe guttate? Had he had a sore throat recently?

Treetopchallenger Fri 09-Sep-16 21:30:15

I though maybe psoriasis but looked to oozy for that and there's some other patches that are brown on his head that look like they are going to go the same way. I'm not really sure with skin though so could be that!

Ilovecharliecat Fri 09-Sep-16 21:54:56

If the crusts are golden crusts and reddening of the scalp then it could be a bacterial infection, possibly impetigo. If they are red raised plaques with silvery scales then possibly psoriasis. Furthermore infantile exczem is very common however less so on the scalp. You may consider visiting a pharmacist, remember they are registered health care professionals and may suggest an over the counter medicine. Some undertake independent prescribing in addition to prescribing. Hope this helps, it's advice from my DH, he works as an advanced paramedic

teenytinypontypine Fri 09-Sep-16 21:56:52

Google kerion. I think it looks like that. Needs antifungal as can cause hairless.

teenytinypontypine Fri 09-Sep-16 21:57:42

Hair loss even!

Treetopchallenger Sat 10-Sep-16 05:11:49

Teeny I've just googled and it does look similar. However it says kerion is soft and this is definitely hard. When he was asleep I tried to pick a piece off but it's trying to come off as one solid lump.

He's also got a patch now starting on the tip of his nose. We've put antiseptic liquid on it for now in hope that but will stop spreading. I'll ask him to have a soak lying down in the bath tomorrow too.

icklekid Sat 10-Sep-16 05:17:30

No idea but sounds similar to my son who also has something on his scalp. I've got doctors appointment on Tuesday...its been over a week. Doesn't seem to bother him unless touched - only discovered when trying to get his hair cut and screamed!

ooharmehearties Sat 10-Sep-16 05:44:29

Could it be ringworm?

010816dot Sat 10-Sep-16 06:07:13

OP - if its kerion GP unlikely to diagnose and will treat as ringworm - or impetigo, Kerion requires oral and often strong antibiotics. Gp will give shampoo and topical antibiotics: steroids. The longer it continued the likely hood of permanent hair loss - my son has just recovered - we spent 3 weeks going back and forth to gp who eventually referred us to Hospital - who diagnosed Kerion. Their treatment cleared it in a week - but his scalp is scarred because it was misdiagnosed and we are not sure if hair will grow back .

tothefareast80 Sat 10-Sep-16 06:35:48

Does he have it anywhere else on his body? It looks a lot like the impetigo that my son had a few months ago. Highly contagious and can only be treated with antibiotics. We had to use separate towels and wash our hands thoroughly whenever we touched him to stop it spreading

Treetopchallenger Sat 10-Sep-16 07:57:03

It's starting to spread to his face now I think. He has dark patches starting near his temples.

I've put a pic up in better light. The crusting is dome like.

tothefareast80 Sat 10-Sep-16 08:03:41

Definitely impetigo. You need to see a GP ASAP before you all get it. Tell the receptionists what it is and hopefully you will get an earlier appt. my son had it very recently and it looked identical.

Treetopchallenger Sat 10-Sep-16 08:06:11

Ok I'll definitely get an earlier appointment them. Do I need it seen as out of hours over the weekend or shall I wait until Monday.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 10-Sep-16 08:08:38

See a GP asap,dont leave it until Monday see an OOH doctor today. You can get very poorly from it very quickly especially as it's spreading. Don't pick,don't touch,dont share towels or you'll all get it as it highly contagious.

NoahVale Sat 10-Sep-16 08:11:05

can you not get a health visitor/school nurse appointment any quicker?
have you tried putting oil in his hair to massage?
my ds had cradle cap at 5, hv said that was what it was anyway, a lump of yellow

flumpybear Sat 10-Sep-16 08:12:45

Go to the out of hours surgery - think you have to ring the non emergency line first

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 10-Sep-16 08:15:06

DON'T TOUCH IT

Seriously,leave well alone and see a doc asap,do not bother with anyone who can't prescribe anti biotics. Definitely no massage!

tothefareast80 Sat 10-Sep-16 08:34:57

Yes do not touch it. It is not cradle cap - it's a bacterial infection that will spread like mad unless treated with antibiotics. Head to OOO and make sure you only see someone who can prescribe antibiotics. Good luck

Treetopchallenger Sat 10-Sep-16 08:39:04

Thanks just waiting on an out of hours appointment now. Just reading up about it and I'm worried now. I have a neutropenic son at home too. Luckily he doesn't have symptoms.

NoahVale Sat 10-Sep-16 15:01:30

did you get an appointment op?

AMR123456 Sat 10-Sep-16 15:06:45

Glad to see you've got an appointment. Def looks like impetigo. I had it a few years ago & left it few days so needed oral antibiotics. If caught early on you can just get away with just using a cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now