Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any doctors about?! Heart pain in 7 year old?

(5 Posts)
Anothernamechanger1 Fri 09-Sep-16 06:56:44

Yesterday morning my 7 year old ds complained his 'heart was hurting' and had his hand on his chest. He is asthmatic. Sometimes I think his chest hurts from the asthma and he thinks it's his heart. Have him ventolin and made no difference. Have him calpol and sent him to school. I didn't get any phone call and he was fine when I picked him up, told me all about his busy day. Fine in the evening. He has forgot up this morning and first thing he says again 'my heart hurts'. I put my hand on his chest and his heart does feel like it's thumping, as in very obvious where it is beating if that makes sense? So I sat him down on my lap to count how many beats a minute as it felt very fast. However I count approx 100 beats a minute although it's very heart to be really 100% accurate as normally (my heart) the boom-boom of my heart beat one will be not as easy to count. So boom--BOOM whereas his is BOOM-BOOM no idea if that makes sense.

You hear all these awful stories of kids dropping dead of unknown heart defects but my gut thinks it's anxiety as he's abit stressed with school. He seems fine other than that, eating and drinking and watching tv, playing Lego. I don't really want to be taking time out for the doctors due to attendance (previous problems with his brother) if he was ill with this is id be straight down the doctors, he is fine when he isn't thinking about it?

Anyone?

Tia

Ditsy4 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:11:30

So take him to the doctors. Can't you make an after school appointment?
It could well be to do with his asthma. I'm often wheezy in the morning / tight chested.so the doctor can check medication it may need changing.

Anothernamechanger1 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:53:44

I'll try when they are open. I don't think it's his inhaler, the ventolin does nothing. It is well controlled with the steroids he is on. I think he's just trying to get a day off school and the though of sitting after school with his older brother who has ASD for hours in the waiting room doesn't appeal. I just don't want to call his bluff in case it's serious.

Treetopchallenger Fri 09-Sep-16 14:25:03

I'm sorry but I would take him. A simple Ecg could rule out any major heart problems. Not worth the risk. If he wanted a day off school surely it would be tummy ache or headache not his heart!

McBassyPants Sat 10-Sep-16 20:47:50

Chest pain needs A+E asap really hun. Get an ecg whilst he's symptomatic. ALWAYS better safe than sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now