Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hirchesprungs disease

(3 Posts)
lilmissj22 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:30:29

My son was diagnosed with Hirchesprungs disease just after he was born, he was being looked after in NICU for 2 weeks and the surgeons taught me how to do his bowel washes so I could take him home. He's due to have an operation in 7 weeks to correct his bowel and to have a stoma put in, I'm terrified about the op... Has any mums on here had a child diagnosed with the same and can you give me any advice or peace of mind? T.I.A x

flutterby77 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:16:32

My brother had hirschbrungs which went undiagnosed until he was 5 when he had this same op to remove a section of bowel, he had a stoma and colostomy for a while but it was removed once his bowel had healed. I understand that the earlier they get it the better that is for the child's recovery so it's great that your little one has been diagnosed early. Despite him passing meconium through his mouth when he was born and having major constipation for years my mum had to fight for a diagnosis.

My brother is now 32, he had some issues with incontinence when he was younger but has never been held back by it.

I hope all goes well.

jellymum1704 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:29:05

My DS was diagnosed with small bowel atresia when he was born so had an open surgery when he was 2 days old to join up the intestine.I can sympathize as I was utterly terrified as it was a rare condition. It took about a month before he could breastfeed.But now he's a happy 17 month old toddler and I sometimes forget the nightmare we went through. Please do ask as many questions as you want to the surgeons if it puts your mind to ease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now