We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Reoccurring coldsores

(10 Posts)
Rubberduck2 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:00:18

DD (10) keeps getting coldsores, on the same place on her top lip. We have tried all of the over the counter products, but nothing seems to work. She had one two weeks ago, been gone about 5 days and it's flared up again this afternoon.

It's getting to the point where it's starting to scar her lip. Also I'm 6 months pregnant and I'm seriously concerned about her being around a newborn if she has a coldsore.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? We have been to the gp who was useless however we will be going to see another gp next week.

Thank you!!

WannaBeDifferent Sun 28-Aug-16 21:07:48

I get recurring cold sores just inside or under my nose so when they scab it looks like I've got a massive bogey shock

I put Zovirax on and it makes them go scabby quicker. I've just got rid of one and its left a red mark because I picked it because it was a particularly big one .

They're horrible I do sympathise . I find the sun brings them on sometimes.

allypally1983 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:15:46

I find I get dreadful ones when I'm due on. Your dd is 10, could it be start of her hormones kicking in? Definitely worth a bit of research.

BlackSwan Sun 28-Aug-16 21:40:46

Lysine is very good - it's just a protein, you get it in 500mg tablets. I would take a few a day (find out correct dosage for kids of course). It works. Also zinc is good. As far as meds go, penciclovir (brand Fenistil in the uk) can work better than Zovirax

IwillrunIwillfly Sun 28-Aug-16 21:48:50

It might be worth speaking to the gp incase she needs a course of oral aciclovir to make sure the virus is actually gone? If its the same place each time could it be you need to treat it for longer after it looks like its gone? Is she other wise well? There are compeed patches you can buy that are ment to be quite good on coldsores and keep them covered up to help stop the virus being passed on. Anacdotally i've heard people sayong vitamin c tablets have helped boost the immune system to keep them at bay.

keeptheheid Sun 28-Aug-16 21:54:01

Definitely worth a trip to the GP. I would also recommend a coldsore machine, sounds strange but it works really well for me, have far far fewer outbreaks.
http://m.boots.com/h5/cathub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FBoots-Electronic-Cold-Sore-Machinee_1129542%2F

Rubberduck2 Sun 28-Aug-16 22:04:13

I didn't know some of these things existed so thank you!

In herself she is an active, healthy girl. She doesn't tend to get sick often etc, it just seems to be these coldsores that are a major issue.

PP upthread mentioned it could be hormonal. This isn't something that I he considered but it wouldn't surprise me if it was!!

I'm off to google now.. Thank you for the suggestions.

Dozer Sun 28-Aug-16 22:08:55

I have the lloyds version of the electronic cold sore zapper, they are sometimes on sale. Quite good IME.

tigertreats Sun 28-Aug-16 22:12:55

L-lysine already mentioned is a miracle.
Not only does it stop them coming but you get one it takes the sting away.
I had recurrent ones when I was younger and u can still remember how upset I felt.

ALemonyPea Sun 28-Aug-16 22:13:17

I used to get cold sores all the time as a child, if I was stressed, when I swam, when I was excited/rundown/ill, and when I was due on. It didn't get any better as an adult.

I had a horrendous breakout after a bout of strep throat and was given aciclovir tablets from my GP and I didn't have a cold sore for two years after that.minget the odd one, maybe 3/4 times a year now and no horrible breakouts.

If you don't want to use tablets, then compede cold sore patches work very well for me, and Zovirax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now