Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Noise sensitivity

(7 Posts)
Lacystacie Sun 28-Aug-16 13:06:48

My dd is just over a year old an hyper sensitive to noises, I can't over hoover around her or even run a tap too fast its driving me insane. It started happening when she was about 8 months old an no matter how I try to get her used to these noises she just screams, its a scared shitless scream too. Dp has tried holding her or distraction she just screams until she's sick. Has anyone else had this problem an how did you resolve it? My house us an unhoovered mess...

Lacystacie Sun 28-Aug-16 13:16:18

Bump

Cassimin Sun 28-Aug-16 13:27:21

People with sensory processing difficulties are sensitive to noise. Our little one is, hand dryers in toilets cause problems as soon as he's finished his wee he makes for the door to escape.
Hates music festivals and some films at cinema. Noise causes him to get anxious.
Since learning more about the condition things are better. We now go prepared with headphones/ear defenders and hand sanitizer.
This is no help at the moment to you, but I would just put them in their cot and close the door while you Hoover.

Lacystacie Sun 28-Aug-16 13:57:27

I've tried that if she sees or hears it turn on anywhere in the house the screaming starts, she was never bothered by it before. I'll look into sensory processing difficulties. She's such a confident happy baby normally sad thank you for replying

Andro Sun 28-Aug-16 21:42:21

I have hyperacusis so for me noise = pain (if the pitch and/or volume are right). I've learned to manage it as I've grown up, but I will always have to take precautions. Your dd may be starting to anticipate pain from certain triggers as well, but she is very young and her perception and tolerance for noise is still developing.

You probably won't know for while if this is a phase or something more tangible, but if the noise is hurting her then trying to desensitise her in an uncontrolled manner is just causing more pain (and more fear of impending pain).

TeaBelle Sun 28-Aug-16 21:46:41

I was terrified of loud noises as a baby and child. I still hate popping balloons and fireworks. It may be that she needs to learn what is going to happen so start off with her very far away and turn it on with a 1,2,3 go type phrase that you can repeat to get her used to knowing that the noise will happen. If not can your dh take her out a couple of evenings a week for a quick stroll before bed so you can hoover

Gizlotsmum Sun 28-Aug-16 21:48:42

My son is weird about noises ( seems to be a pitch thing) we carry ear defenders which he can wear if he needs them and accept that hand driers will result in him screaming and running for the door ( so always have tissues handy). He is getting better as he gets older but still has issues

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now