Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Four year old with body odour

(5 Posts)
pipppopin Fri 26-Aug-16 19:57:12

My four year old daughter has bo under her arms. It's an adult whiff & has taken me by complete surprise. I first noticed it a few days ago when she was sitting on my friends lap & I picked her up. It was a bit niffy & I put it down to my friend at the end of a long hot day... But this morning my daughter told me about it herself and, thankfully, seems amused by the smell. I've googled this and read about dairy products causing this problem. Anyone else out there dealing with this?? Is it ok to use a natural/crystal deodorant? She starts reception class soon, can't believe i have to think about sadThe curve balls of motherhood hmm

ShatnersBassoon Fri 26-Aug-16 20:00:22

Are her armpits washed thoroughly every day? It's not really what you concentrate on when they're little and in the bath, so if not it might just be that upping the washing will suffice with no need to anti-perspirant yet.

I don't think it's very unusual, by the way.

OnLikeDonkeyKong Fri 26-Aug-16 20:04:14

My dd had this very young. I found that because she was so slim she wasn't getting far enough into to pit of her armpit iyswim! She is now 8 and doesn't have any problems unless doing a lot of sport

BertieBotts Fri 26-Aug-16 20:06:37

DS has had BO since he was 5. I thought it was unusual but it only happens when he doesn't wash regularly or he's got particularly sweaty. It's more noticeable if he's wearing a sleeveless top.

We are going with frequent washing at the moment rather than deodorants (he's nearly 8 now) but will start buying it for him if it becomes noticeable despite washing. I expect that will happen in the next couple of years.

I've been told if any other signs of puberty are noticed to mention it to the doctor, but it seems to be just this.

siscaza Fri 26-Aug-16 20:06:41

Might be worth a visit to the GP to rule out precocious puberty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now