Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I make toddlers antibiotics taste better?

(32 Posts)
suspiciousofgoldfish Thu 25-Aug-16 16:41:59

DS (2) has been prescribed a course of oral antibiotics (penicillin) for 10 days. Have to give them 4x per day and it tastes revolting.

He understandably balked at the first dose and refused anymore, so I mixed it with yogurt. He had one mouthful and then said no more.

I tasted it and the flavour is so strong it wasn't masked at all by the fromage frais. Husband ended up getting him to take the medicine but it didn't sound fun confused

How can I make it taste better? I don't want to add anything that may affect the medicine..... Any ideas?

TIA

NapQueen Thu 25-Aug-16 16:43:34

Mix into dilute juice

Mix into homemade jelly

Freeze into home made lollies (made with fresh orange or similar)

DoItTooJulia Thu 25-Aug-16 16:47:50

Revolting isn't it? Why they haven't made a more neutral flavoured one yet baffles me!

Nesquick (pink milk)
Ice cream
Custard
Chocolate pudding/mousse

Or good old fashioned bribery? A handful of buttons for every swallowed mouthful?

Good luck!

peekaboo1 Thu 25-Aug-16 16:52:06

My 3 year old refuses juice, lollies, jelly, yoghurt. Anything fruit flavoured. We ended up bribing with lots of chocolate/toys/ treats for each dose (4x daily x 10 days!) and resorted to wrapping her in a towel, laying her on the floor, holding nose and trying to syringe it into the part of the check where it avoids the tongue so minimised tasting it. By day 6 she was resigned to the inevitable and just took the stuff with a chocolate chaser.

In the US you can choose flavours eg chocolate. I would happily pay for this over here but not an option. These Meds really do taste terrible.

Good luck.

MrsJoeyMaynard Thu 25-Aug-16 17:00:28

We made a syrup with sugar and vanilla essence and mixed the antibiotics into that when we had some particularly nasty tasting antibiotics prescribed.

cookiefiend Thu 25-Aug-16 17:08:28

We had the same a few weeks ago. I bought a pack of chocolate buttons and said I knew it was gross, but if she took it she could have a couple each time- worked well.

suspiciousofgoldfish Thu 25-Aug-16 17:10:08

Wow that was quick thanks all.

Just about to give dose 2 so will mix with a bit of juice.

It just tastes so strong! I was debating trying ribena (!) but the thought of him having all that sugar four times a day put me off.

You'd think in this day and age they would make them taste better...

Itsnottheendoftheworld Thu 25-Aug-16 17:10:39

Lollipop to lick straight after?

oldlaundbooth Thu 25-Aug-16 17:10:55

Mix it with apple sauce

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 25-Aug-16 17:14:57

I used to cajole ours that if they had the medicine they got a haribo type sweetie straight after - they had to hold the sweet though!

AlfrescoBalconyWanker Thu 25-Aug-16 17:37:33

My friend was a formulation scientist and she says there's not much can be done to take the bitterness away from ABs - penicillin has nothing on flucoxacillin, that is vile

Sorebigtoes Thu 25-Aug-16 19:30:46

Chocolate bribery here from about the age of 18 months xx

Sorebigtoes Thu 25-Aug-16 19:31:53

Oops, forgot where I was there and put 'xx' at the end of my post. Sorry everyone!

NapQueen Thu 25-Aug-16 19:51:33

My cat got a ten day course of ABS given in one injection.

Why they can't do that for human I'll never know.

suspiciousofgoldfish Thu 25-Aug-16 20:39:59

Juice was a no-go, he took one sip and more or less said "on yer bike mummy".

It is that Flucoxacillin stuff actually, not penicillin.

DH wrestled him again. I couldn't even watch, I don't think I'll be able to do it when husband isn't here. (I'm no match for my two year old).

Going to try ice cream tomorrow.

DS is getting wise already - I asked him if he wanted a yogurt (this time with no medicine in) and he sniffed it first grin

If all else fails I'll have to get the name of your vet Napqueen.

WhatWouldFlopDo Thu 25-Aug-16 20:41:27

DD has just had a course of that and after a couple of really bad screaming sessions we discovered that bigging up the disgusting taste worked e.g 'ewww it's time for the horrible medicine, quick get some water to wash it down' etc. She's just had her last dose and proudly announced that it tastes like 'a monkey bum'. It worked for us but then DD is a weirdo grin

Ohb0llocks Thu 25-Aug-16 20:43:37

I've had his problem before. Just could not get them down him, had to mix 1ml at a time into tiny bits of strong juice, then he got wise so ended up at the doctors for different antibiotics!

Mermaid36 Thu 25-Aug-16 20:46:55

We have to get quite a lot of grim tasting meds into our 19 week preemie twins on a daily basis. We could syringe them into their mouths, but most of it ends up back out.

I now drop a breastfeed in favour of a bottle of EBM with the meds mixed in at teatime. It's been a bit hit and miss as to the amount, but I think I've nailed it to 50ml each. Enough to disguise the taste but not too much to drink in one go

Danglyweed Thu 25-Aug-16 20:49:58

Make sure its really cold, so put in the salad drawer, it does take a wee bit of the minging taste away.

Quodlibet Thu 25-Aug-16 20:53:17

Will he take calpol? You could try putting the AB into a syringe, and then front-loading the syringe with calpol so that's what it tastes of first.

isthistoonosy Thu 25-Aug-16 20:57:43

I mixed some.does with icing sugar and chocolate sauce and pretended it was a special treat, do t let dad see you eat it all up etc. Other doses were I know it horrible but you have to have it and he just necked it (I'm fearful of vodka when he is a teen!), others were mixed in juice. I had to alternate to.stop.him refusing too often.

drspouse Thu 25-Aug-16 21:00:14

Jam, equal parts to the medicine.

TotalConfucius Thu 25-Aug-16 21:02:28

We used to use the concentrated milkshake mix, can't remember what it's called (DC now 21 and 14). And stand in the kitchen with me saying to Dh in a very loud voice 'no daddy don't drink that, that's the special one I'm saving for X, it's the good stuff'

Ginmakesitallok Thu 25-Aug-16 21:04:14

Um bongo. We told dd that if she drank her special juice she didn't have to take the medicine.

suspiciousofgoldfish Fri 26-Aug-16 15:34:07

I'm going to try all of these.

Impressive skills Quad, the mistress of sleuth, I will be using that sneaky tactic too.

Thanks for your tips everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now