Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Asthma

(6 Posts)
windygales Wed 24-Aug-16 03:47:50

Hi all.
I'm worried about my DD aged 3's asthma. She had her first "attack" 9 months ago. But was quickly relieved by her cousins inhaler and then got prescribed her own.
She has a cold and has been wheezing 12-16 hours now.
She's had blue and brown inhalers.
What do I do?

Minisoksmakehardwork Wed 24-Aug-16 08:34:58

Hope you are ok this morning.

If she's having the max dose of blue (10 puffs?) and it's not making a significant difference then take her to hospital. If she's otherwise ok in herself then gp appointment asap as she might need additional steroids to help.

My dd doesn't wheeze but an uncontrollable cough means she needs a bit more help.

Loulou2kent Wed 24-Aug-16 08:50:45

Agree with PP. 10 puffs & if I change then go to GP (unless she's really struggling) and they can stick her on a nebuliser & give you prescription for steroids.

The GP should be able to see her. As long as you phone & make it clear its her asthma you need to get under control.

Does she use her brown inhaler morning & night?

I've taken my son to hospital a few times & he's been in for days. He's also been doctors a few times when not too bad & they've always sorted him out.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

windygales Wed 24-Aug-16 20:14:50

I took her to docs this evening. She's now asleep. She's on verge of chest infection. She has to take brown inhaler morning and night and blue anytime.
She's not right. The doc said don't worry if you need to call 999 and she turns out to be ok.
I'm just not familiar with asthma

Minisoksmakehardwork Wed 24-Aug-16 20:46:45

Don't worry about not being familiar, or feeling like you're bugging GP/hospital. Breathing is one of the things you don't mess with so they'd sooner see you earlier than later.

Fwiw my eldest is 8 and was diagnosed with asthma at 9 months, so I've had over 7 years of experience and I still se one guess myself.

DottyGiraffe Wed 24-Aug-16 22:24:05

Agree completely with Minisoksmakehardwork. Doctors would much rather see a child and them be ok than not see one and it be too late (which sounds scarier than it's meant to!)

She should always be taking the brown inhaler twice a day, even when well, and the blue as required, I would have thought. Not just while she's unwell I mean. Of course when she's well, she shouldn't need the blue one, or just occasionally. Hope she picks up soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now