Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lump in 14mo old's groin - Help!

(8 Posts)
Elliesmama Thu 18-Aug-16 17:40:26

My daughter got her MMR on August 1st, now 15 days later she has a lump on the same side of the vaccine. The GP had us schedule a Pediatric Urologist and said it could be a hernia that needs surgery. I am very scared. Could it be a lymph node, hernia. I saw some posts about Eczema accompanying swollen lymph nodes and she does have a lot of eczema. Please comment if you have any advice. Thank you.

3littlefrogs Thu 18-Aug-16 17:44:55

It is very common to get a small lymph node on the affected side following a vaccination. It is a normal physiological response.
Presumably your GP has examined your dd and therefore I would follow their advice, as it is impossible to diagnose over the internet.

Hopefully your dd will get seen promptly and it turns out to be nothing serious.

Buzzardbird Thu 18-Aug-16 17:44:55

When I brought my newborn baby home from the hospital an egg sized lump appeared in her groin, and I thought 'shit, I've broken her already!' It turned out to be a hernia which she had sorted when she was old enough.

A hernia is most likely to pop out when a baby cries. Did she cry when she had her jab?

cathyandclare Thu 18-Aug-16 17:46:28

Both my DDs had hernias. Does it disappear sometimes/when she lies down? What does it feel like? Lymph nodes are usually a bit firmer and sort of rubbery feeling.

Elliesmama Thu 18-Aug-16 17:55:07

Thank you all so much. She did cry when she got jabbed for the vaccine. How was the hernia repair for your little ones? It doesn't pop in or out, it just stays out all the time and is pretty firm to the touch, she also has a fever and wakes up crying various times at night, pain sort of cry. I feel so bad that she has to wait 6 days like this to be seen. During the day she is fussy but still walks around and plays. The doctor says if it turns purple or blue run to the ER because it could be the hernia trapping and organ and killing it. What? Then how would they not make it a point to see her sooner if its so urgent...should I just go to the ER even if she is acting normal during the day?

Buzzardbird Fri 19-Aug-16 11:50:36

My daughter's hernia could not be operated on until she was 1 and a half IIRC. I was instructed not to let her cry (hence never slept through the night until she was 6yrs old!) as it might strangulate. I was able to pop her hernia back in with the palm of my hand though as instructed by the hospital. Obviously you shouldn't do this until you are sure that is what it is. Hernias in the groin area seem to be common with girls.
The operation itself was very straight forward and there was no suffering pain or discomfort afterwards.

As she is in pain I would not wait for your referral, I would take her to A&E to see whether they can pop it back in for her if it is a hernia. It is not reasonable to her to wait. I would be extremely worried about the fever and pain together. I would take her, really.

Hope you get sorted today.

Elliesmama Fri 19-Aug-16 14:04:55

Thank you everyone, it turned sort of blue yesterday so the Pediatrician sent us to the ER where they did an ultrasound and found it to be an enlarged lymph node most likely caused by the MMR vaccine, it was given on her left thing and the node on that side near the thigh/groin got inflamed. Thanks again for all the help! It kept me sane while I waited on results.

Buzzardbird Fri 19-Aug-16 14:14:40

Glad you are sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now