Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with perpetual cough

(9 Posts)
SteviebunsBottrittrundle Wed 17-Aug-16 09:29:02

My 20mo DD seems to have a bit of a cough all the time at the minute and has done for a couple of months. She has started nursery recently and also goes through teething phases so I have just put it down to that, but it just dawned on me that she hasn't really had a cough free day in what feels like a long time. She is otherwise fine - no temperature or anything, though she was poorly about a month ago and had a high temp, very sleepy etc. She got better after a few days of lots of rest and some calpol.

Is this just par for the course with toddlers at nursery or do I need to speak to a doctor?

Any advice much appreciated. TIA.

8angle Wed 17-Aug-16 15:38:16

It could be par for the course, I had a constant dry tickly cough that was originally diagnosed as Asthma and later found to be reflux.

If she has been consistently coughing for 2 months i would definitely see a doctor.

CathFromCooberPedy Wed 17-Aug-16 15:42:00

Dd1 had this was just told it's nothing. Had it when we were in Australia so took her to the docs and it was asthma.

roseteapot101 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:50:57

always good to ask a doctor but this may seem odd but i noticed when my partner and i moved in together he always had this cough.His parents said o he just always had a cough.No one seem to find this odd now when he lived with his parents he had feather blankets/pillows.I remembered as a child my mother had a feather allergy it affected her breathing.So i got rid of all the feather pillows and old pillows as dust mites is another one to watch.

once i removed them he soon stopped coughing we learnt later he also has a dust allergy

but it maybe also be a allergy

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Wed 17-Aug-16 16:52:45

Thanks all. I phones docs earlier but they've asked me to call back in the morning. Might as well have someone listen to her chest or something, but in case. I'm always a bit worried about wasting their time so hesitate to call them. It's good to have someone else's at it's worth doing!

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Wed 17-Aug-16 17:47:21

Phoned not phones. Bloody autocorrect!

Millie2013 Sat 20-Aug-16 06:32:00

DD has had what the GP referred to as a "post viral cough" for a few months now and has salbutamol for it, but we're having to go back (as instructed) next week, as I don't think it's getting any better sad

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 20-Aug-16 12:12:08

Just an update; we saw a nurse yesterday and she prescribed a ventinol inhaler, just as a trial to see if it makes any difference. They can't test her for asthma yet as she is too little to do the blow tests and things. We are going back next week.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 20-Aug-16 13:28:36

Ventolin not ventinol ffs! Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now