Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fingertips peeling (pic)

(18 Posts)
omri Mon 15-Aug-16 00:05:13

Just noticed over the last 2 days that ds (age 5) fingertips are peeling away here. We haven't changed any soap and he hasn't been touching any chemical stuff. What do you think it is?

It's not a very good pic - but worse looking IRL

Thanks, omri

omri Mon 15-Aug-16 00:07:44

Just thinking, he got a new bike last week for his birthday, it has rubber handlebars. Could that be the cause? Or is it something medical?

It doesn't look like eczema to me but I couldn't be sure

finova Mon 15-Aug-16 00:09:47

Looks like athletes foot. I'd nip to GP for some cream.

omri Mon 15-Aug-16 00:12:24

Oh right! Never thought of that!! Thanks for your response. I'll bring him up in the morning

AliMonkey Mon 15-Aug-16 00:17:33

DD has had the same problem for the last few days. I've got nowhere with trying to work out what it is so watching this with interest.

I alway thought athletes foot was itchy so if not itchy is that the likely cause? Or am I wrong re itchiness?

omri Mon 15-Aug-16 00:22:00

His isn't itchy at all either. In fact I don't think he's even noticed it himself! But quick google and suggests it could be some fungal infection- and that you can buy anti fungal cream over the counter

DarylDixonsDarlin Mon 15-Aug-16 00:57:03

He hasn't had scarlet fever recently? That can cause peeling on hands and feet, after they're over the initial infection.

flutterby77 Mon 15-Aug-16 06:54:35

viruses can cause peeling fingers, it happened to my son about 2-3 weeks after he was poorly with a upper respiratory viral infection.

ChipInTheSugar Mon 15-Aug-16 07:09:22

It looks like the peeling I've had from pompholyx (a type of eczema); try your GP or pharmacist.

LillyBugg Mon 15-Aug-16 07:21:56

This happened to my DS after a mild case of hand foot and mouth. His finger nails peeled and split as well. It was so weird.

omri Mon 15-Aug-16 08:26:26

Thanks all - yes he had scarlet fever a few months ago and an upper respiratory virus thing 2 weeks ago. He has an ear infection at the moment so clearly v low immune at the moment.

Did you get a cream for it?

SeenoevilHearnoevilSpeaknoevil Mon 15-Aug-16 08:32:00

Looks like eczema but can also be from riding his bike! My fingers always do it and I've been riding a bit!

Treetopchallenger Mon 15-Aug-16 08:34:29

Check out this just incase.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kawasaki-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If it is they will need to have ongoing heart check ups.

Apanicaday Mon 15-Aug-16 08:38:25

My son had the same some time after hfm. It wasnt straight after either - think it was a good few months. It cleared up fairly swiftly by itself.

IwillrunIwillfly Mon 15-Aug-16 08:43:11

My hands and feet peeled after I had hand foot and mouth. By the time they were peeling and looking awful I actually felt better and it wasn't sore.

DarylDixonsDarlin Mon 15-Aug-16 11:11:41

Ah I see, well I'd put it down to the scarlet fever personally but if its troubling or becomes painful the GP can put your mind at rest.

I think my youngest had scarlet fever a couple of months ago but GP was adamant it wasn't. She'd had viral rashes before and this was similar but worse, with other symptoms as well. No treatment was given. Lo and behold, a month later she had peeling feet confused.

LBOCS2 Mon 15-Aug-16 11:18:42

We've all had scarlet fever here - DD1 has been fine but DH and I have both had peeling fingers and I've had peeling feet too. I would probably put it down to that as well.

omri Mon 15-Aug-16 15:21:19

Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now