Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about my 4yo and almost 2yo

(7 Posts)
user1471173214 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:00:43

Ok, so, first of all, I have a 4yo daughter. I noticed, what I call a 'gap' in her spine.Basically, when I run my fingers down it, it feels like a bit of it is missing. I have taken her to the doctors, who referred us to the hospital for x rays. The results came back as 'normal'. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I'm not sure having part of your spine missing (the doctor also noticed this so I'm not going mad) is 'normal'. I can feel my sons whole spine. My question is, would you get a second opinion about her spine?
NOTE - Spinabifida and Scholiosis (not sure if they're spelt correctly) both run in the family.

Then there is my son. He is 2 in November 2016, and he walks with one foot pointing inwards. Would you see a doctor about this also? Thanks.

JinkxMonsoon Sun 14-Aug-16 17:55:03

Presumably if the x ray was normal there isn't a part of her spine missing. Which is good, obviously!

To be honest, there can't be a piece missing - you would know. I don't think she'd be able to function normally. Have you been given an explanation for why it feels unusual from the outside?

user1471173214 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:15:59

The doc at our GP stated it was "sections" (not sure what word they actually used as can't remember) 5 and 6 of her spine missing. Her legs give way on her here and there. Not a lot, but they do. The family member on my side who has spinabifida wasn't diagnosed until he was 10yrs old, complaining of back ache when he played football. You can see the part that's missing as soon as you look at her back. It also has a slight curve. No explanation, and it came through email. No letter, appointment or phone call.

coolaschmoola Sun 14-Aug-16 18:18:37

My FIL has spina bifida occulta. My dd also has a gap in her spine. Occulta rarely causes issues and often is not even diagnosed. Fil was a firefighter who damaged his back in a fire 22 years in. He was diagnosed after that.

HappyHeart87 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:20:48

I imagine your doctor was referring to vertebrae; they are numbered and are the bones that make up your spine. They're not easy to palpate and count even with lots of experience and practise.

Crucially, they are bones so they will show up on xray. If they were missing they'd be really obvious.

user1471173214 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:23:05

Yes, that's what they were referring to, but she said there are different levels of the spine, and I can't quite remember what she called them. But she definitely said that there were numbers 5 and 6 missing. I did try to email back to the surgery and also called for them to explain it to me, but no one could speak to me. It's a nightmare to get into my docs, and don't really want to make an appointment for them to just explain something to me. I would feel like I'm taking up valuable time from someone who is potentially really ill.

A member on my side has spinobifida, and someone on my partners (my childrens father) side who also has it, she also has scholiosis.

JinkxMonsoon Sun 14-Aug-16 20:09:23

don't really want to make an appointment for them to just explain something to me. I would feel like I'm taking up valuable time from someone who is potentially really ill

It's completely appropriate to make an appointment considering you still have questions and concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now