We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2.5 week no pooing

(14 Posts)
LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 08:31:46

My 2.5 week DD has gone from pooing 5 times a day to not going for 3 days is this abnormal? She did finally go and it was continuous amounts of poo and she was so much more settles after this but now it's been 3 days again and she instantly seems in pain.

She is also no longer breast feeding properly and in wondering if it is related?

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 08:33:18

It's quite normal in breastfed babies to stop pooing every day - some go many days between poos.

You say she has stopped feeding properly - what do you mean?

LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 08:36:21

She's always been a perfect feeder unlike my first who struggled but the latch seems to have gone, she just keeps slipping off then getting really cross and shaking her head and fighting with my boob!! I know she's not feeding quite right as don't feel the let down and also just know the latch is all wrong

Thingvellir Sat 06-Aug-16 08:45:21

It's totally normal for BF babies. DD would go up to 7-10 days, then a poonami (usually when we were out and aboutgrin)

Does she seem uncomfortable/windy though, the fighting with the boob could suggest this. I was advised to gently press her knees on her tummy during nappy change to help things get going and relieve pressure on the tummy.

LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 08:48:58

Yes she seems constantly unhappy and looks in pain. I've tried this lots with knees like you suggest, this is what got it going the first time.

A friend told me she should be going every day so I was worrying but seems you have both said its normal so I'll try not to worry!

LifeIsGoodish Sat 06-Aug-16 08:49:46

It is normal for some breastfed babies to poo infrequently, but not really this early. It is also normal for some of them to get more uncomfortable as the poonami approaches. But the fact that she is not feeding comfortably is an indicator that something else is bothering her.

How is her weeing - wet nappies? Crying tears? Fontanelle? Ie is she dehydrated?

Have you seen a breastfeeding supporter? Not a Health Visitor or midwife, but one of the volunteers trained by NCT or BFN. They are IME wonderful. Give them a call to find out where there are supporters near you.

In the meantime, lots of relaxed skin-to-skin, topless in bed together, feeding in the bath etc, may help.

Congratulations, too smile

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 08:52:49

No your friend is wrong, this is normal for bfed babies.

How are her wet nappies? Lots?

LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 08:56:10

Thanks. Yes nappies are really wet, fontanelle ok as far as I am aware. She is crying a lot and there are tears, breaks my heart!!

I will try to contact a bf advisor but doubt any at weekend?? Just don't get how she was so fine with it and now this??

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 08:56:57

How about your local la leche league Facebook group? There's always brilliant advice on mine.

LifeIsGoodish Sat 06-Aug-16 09:04:21

Good signs. smile

BFN run a supporters' line which is staffed by supporters from their own homes.

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/contact-us/helplines/supporter-line/

LifeIsGoodish Sat 06-Aug-16 09:06:06

Sorry, posted too soon.

The supporters' line is to give you bf support there-and-then, as opposed to admin like finding bf groups.

LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 18:05:16

Thanks will have a look at this xx

flumpybear Sat 06-Aug-16 18:33:32

We did baby massage with the health visitors. There was a massage specific for pooing be my DS poo'd all over the mat lol ... That seemed to work!! But have a hands on lesson as it can be dangerous

LimesMum Thu 11-Aug-16 18:07:22

So we have now gone since Sunday morning with no poos .... Is this still ok??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now