Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temp not coming down

(31 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:08:13

Is this something to be concerned about in your experience? I phoned 111 and they won't even let me talk to a nurse. Everything I read online says we need to see a gp urgently.

Ds is 2 and had his mmr yesterday. He has been out of sorts all day and took his temperature this evening at 39.5 gave him Calpol and after an hour it's gone up to 39.7

NHS direct made me wake him, which was hard, took a while but he did eventually wake for a moment.

So their system says I can't talk to a nurse!!

Haggisfish Thu 04-Aug-16 23:14:54

Is calpol paracetamol or ibuprofen? Ibuprofen is better at taking temperature down. Try 111 again -different operator might give different advice.

BluePitchFork Thu 04-Aug-16 23:17:33

have you got ibuprofen?
then try that.
otherwise strip him down to underwear, plenty of fluids and rest.
hope he's better soon.

lougle Thu 04-Aug-16 23:19:24

A fever in itself isn't harmful. Febrile convulsions are the main concern with fevers in children, but they are rare and tend to happen when the temperature rises rapidly, rather than because the temperature is high itself.

You can give children's ibuprofen alternately with paracetamol, but you don't need to give either unless the fever is causing your DS discomfort. In the mean time you should simply keep him cool, just one layer of clothing and no heavy bed clothes, and if you have a fan, direct it to the area around him but not directly on him (if you cool his skin directly it can make the body think it's cold and cause a shivering reaction, which drives up the temperature). Fluids as he wishes.

If the only symptom is his temperature, i wouldn't be too worried. If he develops other symptoms then obviously telephone 111 to update them and ask for reassessment.

MirrorMirrorOnTheFloor Thu 04-Aug-16 23:20:56

In that case, I would alternate Calpol and Calprofen (I think it's every three hours, but check the packet). Set an alarm and check temp and check you can rouse him each time.

I did this (but with a 4yo) recently - her temp never got below 39.5 and it turned out to be tonsillitis when we got her an emergency GP appointment the next day, but that's how we got through the night.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:22:18

Calpol is paracetamol, yes, I'll try ibuprofen thanks.

He doesn't feel very hot, it's strange, usually when he has a temp I can feel it on him

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:32:06

Well that's the thing.... He is Finding it hard to open his eyes, when I wake him and ask him to look at me he just lifts his head but doesn't open his eyelids. And then just falls back to the bed asleep

Pinkkahori Thu 04-Aug-16 23:33:20

Was he sleepy like that all day?

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:37:39

Not really ask sleepy, just clingy and moaning and then he fell asleep like that at 5pm for an hour, then woke for a few hours but just lay down.

Pinkkahori Thu 04-Aug-16 23:41:36

I'd try the ibuprofen first. Calpol never seems to work when dd1 has a temperature but nurofen brings it down quickly.

It's difficult to know about the sleepiness, it is very late so a toddler is bound to be sleepy now.

lougle Thu 04-Aug-16 23:42:23

Well it is 23.30, so you have to take into account that he's supposed to be sleepy at this time. If you can rouse him then it isn't a problem that he's tired and wants to sleep.

Tbh, if he just has a fever, but has been fairly normal, if grouchy, in the day, I don't think you need to be waking him. He needs rest.

Threeboysandus Thu 04-Aug-16 23:42:44

Hope he is ok. It's hard to say as if I tried to wake my 2 yr old now he would never wake!

Hope the nurofen works X

Pinkkahori Thu 04-Aug-16 23:44:33

Having said that you know him best and if you give the nurofen and it doesn't help and you still feel something is wrong then definitely push to have him seen.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:50:08

I would say that for him it's very abnormal to not wake easily. He certainly much more tired than usual but he's obviously fighting something so I would assume that's normal.

He gets temperatures usually and I rarely treat them and they usually only last a few nights, he's very robust.

Something about this is different and worries me weight that I have given him Calpol and Nurofen. Probably because it's the mmr causing it and no snotty noise or anything. And the mmr symptoms are supposed to come after 7 days.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 23:52:26

He's down to 38.5 now so will stick with the ibuprofen, thanks all, don't know why I didn't think of that!!

Pinkkahori Thu 04-Aug-16 23:59:00

Hope he recovers quickly.

IwillrunIwillfly Thu 04-Aug-16 23:59:10

Hopefully he's better soon, but trust your instincts and if you think something's not right, get him seen. Glad the ibuprofen helping!

lougle Thu 04-Aug-16 23:59:13

The bottom line is that you are his Mum and you are with him. We can all sit here and say that it sounds like a mild viral illness or a mild reaction to the MMR (it does) and that a fever of 39.7c on its own isn't terribly concerning (it isn't) and that it isn't too surprising that he won't wake fully at this time of night (it isn't) and that we think he's ok. But you are his Mum. If you really think, deep down, that there is something not right and you are very worried and can't shake it then you need to call 111 again. And, much as we bemoan the use of A&E for minor complaints, if you are really worried and 111 won't take you seriously, then your only other option is A&E. They won't be cross if a worried mother presents with a feverish two year old.

I hope we have put your mind at rest a bit, but you are his Mum and nobody should insist that he's well when they can't see him.

lougle Fri 05-Aug-16 00:00:24

X-posted with you. Glad the ibuprofen is helping. Get some rest because no doubt he'll be just as grouchy in the morning brew

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 05-Aug-16 00:04:35

Listen I understand your concerned. It's all very well us trying to give advice but realistically we are just a bunch of mums. This might not even be to do with his mmr is could just be a coincidence and he had a virus brewing.

My daughter suffers complex febrile convulsions so I always try get her temp down and calpols useless. Always use ibuprofen personally.

However despite all that and what the call handler said. You are his mum and you need to trust your gut instinct and go with it.

MoreSnowPlease Fri 05-Aug-16 00:12:15

Yes, don't worry I'm not looking for medical advice from those who can't see him. Just opinions really because I'm not really used to what to do with temperatures. My eldest never gets them even though he's regularly in hospital with wheezing.

If I was that worried I would ensure I got my way from whatever medical service necessary smile

It's more confusing me because mmr symptoms aren't supposed to show yet.

Anyway, fingers crossed it all disappears soon

Pinkkahori Fri 05-Aug-16 08:26:35

How is he this morning?

MoreSnowPlease Fri 05-Aug-16 09:01:19

I've just woken him up, temp back up above 39. But he's acting perfectly normally so haven't given ibuprofen again yet, I'll see how he goes this morning. Thanks for asking

MoreSnowPlease Fri 05-Aug-16 20:22:49

So, I'm pretty sure he has mumps from the vaccine. He's still got a fever and has a big hard lump on one side of his throat, his face looks swollen too

Haggisfish Fri 05-Aug-16 21:34:51

I'd phone 111 just to check. The vaccine won't give the full blown disease. Could it be tonsillitis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now