Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

missing adult teeth

(11 Posts)
BigGlasses Tue 02-Aug-16 12:15:56

DD, who is 8, recently had an Xray at the dentist and it looks as if she is missing 2 of her adult teeth. They just haven't formed and she will never get them, it is her upper and lower premolar on her right side. Obviously this isn't ideal, but there is nothing we can do about it, just one of these things. Does anyone else have experience of this? What did they do in the end? There is chat about her keeping those baby teeth into adulthood, and also chat about removing the baby teeth when she is a teenager and using braces to shuffle the teeth about to close the gap. Anyone else's experiences would be great to hear about.

neolara Thu 04-Aug-16 23:42:33

I have 4 missing adult teeth. With no big teeth to push them out, one of my baby teeth lasted until I was nearly 40. I just have gaps but have considered implants. I'm just a bit of a wimp so haven't got round to them.

Shallishanti Thu 04-Aug-16 23:51:27

all my DCs have this to a greater or lesser extent. Only one chose to go down the braces route. DS1 (27 yo) still has at least 1 milk tooth- you can tell if you look closely but who goes round looking closely at people's teeth?
DS2 had it worst - for some reason one of his adult teeth - maybe because it didn't have other teeth next to it- was growing sideways and had to be removed from his jaw, that wasnt nice.

Lindy2 Thu 04-Aug-16 23:57:30

I had exactly this. I had the matching adult teeth on the other side removed to even out the symmetry. It ended up ok and I still have enough teeth left despite being 4 down from the normal number!

welshpixie Sun 07-Aug-16 17:13:16

I had this the two bottom front ones, but my lips don't show my bottom teeth, even with a big smile. I finally had them taken out when I was 46. I was having a lot of work done and the dentist pit in a bridge. I still miss them though I could bite anything with those little buggers. grin seems an appropriate emoji

outofdepth Sun 07-Aug-16 17:23:47

My Dad still has 3 baby teeth - same as your DD, the adult teeth never grew. They are on the bottom and still going strong

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 07-Aug-16 17:34:38

I had this with 8 teeth. The milk teeth were removed when I was in my teens and I have dentures.

It looks as though DS2 has inherited the same problem.

It was quite a novelty at the time, lots of dentistry students came to look at my mouth!

mrslol Sun 07-Aug-16 17:34:53

Not quite the same but I had healthy adult teeth- premolars and one canine - removed due to overcrowding. It sounds as though it would look really wonky but you can't tell at all. I had braces for a long time but they were worth it and I have straight teeth and no gaps or overlaps now.

ProfYaffle Sun 07-Aug-16 17:37:11

I have this, I had to have a brace-shuffle option and have 2 false teeth at the front. Dd1 has inherited it from me (she never lets me forget!) but her missing teeth are further back. She'll need a brace and some dental surgery too but hopefully won't need false ones.

ProfYaffle Sun 07-Aug-16 17:38:53

Jemima I had that experience too, my teeth were photographed for a textbook!

BigGlasses Tue 09-Aug-16 09:48:35

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately it is her premolars that are missing so visibly there won't be much of a problem. Having looked into it all a bit more it seems surprisingly common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now