Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bottom rash - 6 year old

(5 Posts)
Bitlost Sun 24-Jul-16 23:18:45

My DD (6) has a recurring rash on her bottom (front and back). We got her checked out by the GP a few times a year or so ago. She was prescribed some antibiotics, which did nothing. The only thing that works is metanium. Works a treat.

The rash seems to happen more when she's at school and I think it might be to do with her not wiping herself properly on occasions. It can flare up during the course of one day: she'll be fine in the morning and red raw in the evening.

I'm going to take her back to the GP next week but was wondering if other mums and dads have had this type of "nappy rash" on older children. If so, what worked for you?

Thank you.

McBassyPants Mon 25-Jul-16 06:20:18

Do her pants fit properly? They're not rubbing are they? Is it a dry rash (iykwim) or like maybe a fungal rash (ideal place for it to take hold; dark, damp and lots of creases)?

Bitlost Mon 25-Jul-16 23:35:23

Pants fit properly, not too tight, and are made of cotton.

I don't think it's fungal. A GP had tried Canesten on her to no avail. Also it stinks to high heaven and thrush wouldn't smell like that (sorry, tmi).

It's very strange...

McBassyPants Tue 26-Jul-16 12:22:41

It definitely sounds like "nappy" rash. Especially as metanium helps (it obviously doesn't have any antibiotic/fungal properties to it). Does she wear trousers or a skirt to school? Does it seem worse with the trousers? Could it be the wash powder/fabric softener? (I know you would expect it elsewhere if it was wash powder etc but it's in the places where her skin is in closest constant contact with clothing and as I said before it gets nice and damp and sweaty around there too).

How often is she getting this rash?

Bitlost Tue 26-Jul-16 22:55:45

She wears dresses at school with tights. Maybe the tights make her sweaty? Having said that, she sometimes has the rash at holiday club or at home when wearing her normal clothes.

I've thought this could be the washing powder. Perhaps I can try one for sensitive skins for a while and see if this helps.

The rash comes every other week on average.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now