Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sun cream and eczema

(15 Posts)
roseteapot101 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:00:21

Hiya my name is Jo my daughter has mild eczema .It sometimes flares up but aveeno works.

Shes not had a rash this summer not until i put the sun cream on .Now shes covered in a red rash.Took a few days to develop.

Now i understand i obviously need to find a new sun cream.But for now what to do about the itching.I washed it off and have since started with aveeno.

Do you think some piraton syrup would help with the itching

jamaisjedors Thu 21-Jul-16 20:02:24

Yes the piriton will help.

I have eczema and unfortunately have still not found one I can wear on my face without a flare-up.

Try a hat and avoid the sun in the middle of
the day?

roseteapot101 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:09:09

thanks

thats not going to be easy we are about to go on holiday for a week =/

i remember when i was little it was pretty much a game of russian roulette with skin products .I had eczema as a child but for the most part have learnt how to prevent all break outs .Its trial and error whats going to give you hell

Ilikedogs Thu 21-Jul-16 20:11:30

How old is your daughter? If over 2 cetirizine hydrochloride might be better (maybe ask your doctor). I found piriton worked but made my son quite irritable.

I have had success with a spray sunscreen called P20 and also had success with a non nano zinc suncream (it leaves a bit of a white sheen, but maybe ok for a child)

roseteapot101 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:18:08

shes 5,i never thought of giving her adult allergy pills we do have some.Its just that i have piriton syrup on hand as she had a mild nut allergy.It always does the trick.

thank you for the suggestion

Ilikedogs Thu 21-Jul-16 20:38:50

You can get the children's version in a syrup.

jamaisjedors Fri 22-Jul-16 22:39:27

Even on holiday you can keep out of the sun at the worst times.

You get up early, go to the beach til 10.30 and then head back up to the shade from 11.30 to at least 4-5pm. Then back to the beach/ pool.

If you do that plus hat and swimming t shirt you will be fine even in somewhere like Spain. I did this in Italy and Greece the last couple of years.

Even with sun cream on you should avoid that part of the day.

If you don't you may end up like a little Dutch girl we saw a few years ago in Spain.

The family headed to the beach and we were heading back, they stayed down there 11am to 3pm and the next day she was covered in a huge red rash, sun allergy.

The whole family then had to TOTALLY avoid the sun for the first week of their holiday.
Have fun!

elephantoverthehill Fri 22-Jul-16 22:50:44

My Dd was recommended the 'Aussie suncream' I was given a sample by the allergy clinic but I can't find it anywhere now. I expect Amazon will provide. Now she is a bit older I use Piz Buin once a day and this seems fine. I also buy the UV Tshirt and shorts combo for her. She doesn't mind - anything is better than sunburn.

Cheerybigbottom Fri 22-Jul-16 22:56:21

My four year old is a top to toe welt. Spots on spots. I put suncream on his neck and lower arms on Monday and the reaction has covered his whole body. confused

Cheerybigbottom Fri 22-Jul-16 22:57:43

Pressed post too soon! Meant to say def use Piriton, the GP advised us too and the pharmacist reccomended a new suncream for when his skin is better, ladival kids which is suitable for those with eczema and atopic dermatitis! Here's hoping hmm

roseteapot101 Sat 23-Jul-16 00:02:57

cherry

omg poor thing ,have you tried aveeno it really helps .hopefully we can both find a cream that works for them

zzzzz Sat 23-Jul-16 00:08:15

Sun protective clothing is your friend. Hat spf50+ shirt and you could try non grease based sun tan spray. Pirotin helps here but makes her stuffy/drowsy.

freshmint Sat 23-Jul-16 00:17:35

I have one very eczema-y child and one less so but still quite bad. I have learnt never to touch any sun cream made by Nivea, Amber solaire, piz buin or soltan. Awful. I need to go either for P20 or ultra sun once a day ones, or the more expensive French-chemist type brands like Roc, Almay etc. P20 can sting but it doesn't make the eczema worse in my kids. If you are in North America, however, the mainstream brands like Hawaiian tropic kids/sensitive and copper tone kids are very well tolerated by mine. No probs. I think there must be a difference in the preservatives allowed in Uk v USA or something.

Hth

coolaschmoola Sat 23-Jul-16 00:30:41

Aveeno make a factor 50 suncream... I discovered this the day after we returned from holiday where she had an awful flare up due to suncream. Aveeno is the only moisturising cream that works for her eczema so I've already ordered some.

Ningnang2000 Sat 23-Jul-16 00:32:19

Hi. My dd has mold eczema too. We have found that sun sense is the best for her so far. It's quite expensive but you can get it in presciption. I have also heard that the Aldi one is quite good but now I have found sunsets works i don't want to risk it. If we get a flair up we use diprobase and emovulate to calm it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now