Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cows Milk Protein intolerance or allergy?

(5 Posts)
ohdearme1958 Mon 18-Jul-16 18:28:20

Hello smile

My 7 week old granddaughter has been diagnosed with either cows milk protein allergy or intolerance. And as bad as it sounds neither myself or my daughter in law can remember what was actually said yesterday at the Drs. And all I can say in our defense is that we spoke about allergies a lot in general and we also spoke about intolerance. We are going back to the Drs in a few days to have it all explained again but in the meantime can someone pls explain the difference between the two.

Baby is doing a lot better now that my daughter in law is 3 weeks in to a dairy free diet. Tomorrow she'll also stop eating eggs.

Thank you

livinginabox Thu 21-Jul-16 23:25:44

It will be a cows milk of protein allergy as it involves an immune response.

Allergy UK have some good info on the differences between immediate and delayed allergies, which are often confused for intolerances.

It is possible to have a lactose intolerance to the sugars in milk but this is very rare in babies and would not be resolved by cutting out dairy from the diet as breastmilk is full of lactose.

Hope you got the answers you needed. DS has CMPA, soy & egg allergies and I've found a lot of ignorance around breastfeeding and allergies from HCP.

GirlOutNumbered Sat 23-Jul-16 23:04:36

Both of mine had CMP intolerance/ allergy. I never knew which, I just knew that they were both fine when I cut out all dairy. They both grew out of it by two, in case you were wondering!

ayeokthen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:07:44

It sounds like an allergy to me. Our youngest DS had CMPA, once all dairy was cut out he was fine. Also grew out of it at 2, 4 in 5 do apparently. There are lots of great recipes and advice online, some of the dairy free formula sites can offer good recipes etc for when she's older.

ohdearme1958 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:02:59

A big thank you to everyone for your help. It really is very much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now