Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nosebleeds

(8 Posts)
Babysafari Wed 13-Jul-16 17:13:41

I wonder if I should take 8 year old to the GP. He's getting nosebleeds fairly regularly maybe 5-6 in the last 2 months.

They're not particularly heavy but enough to be dripping and they seem to come on quite randomly.

He hasn't had an injury and isn't picking his nose excessively!

amarmai Thu 21-Jul-16 00:03:32

Def get this checked . Not sure why people are hesitant to get a Dr's advice and if you feel you need a second opinion get that too

sleepy16 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:12:10

My eldest dd was getting 2 a day a few years back, was given some cream to stick up her nose and hasn't had one since.

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Thu 21-Jul-16 10:17:46

My eldest was given cream to soften then scabs in her nose so they wouldn't peel off and restart her nosebleeds, which is one reason they can be recurrent.When that didn't work, she had one side cauterized. I can't remember exactly what they used, but it was quick and not traumatic.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 21-Jul-16 10:24:28

I had nosebleeds alllll the time as a child, once my mum had to take me to A&E at about 3am and leave my sister at home as I'd been bleeding for about 3 hours. As soon as we got there it stopped, obvs grin

I got my nose cauterised but it didn't do a whoooooole lot and I think I mainly just grew out of it. Still get them if I'm too hot sometimes.

steppemum Thu 21-Jul-16 10:26:22

ds gets regular nosebleeds.
dh used to too when he was a kid.

We find it is worse in hot weather, and in very cold (below zero) weather.
Once he has one, he then gets another 2-3 over the next week, I think until it heals.

Go to the Doctor if you are worried.

MaudTheMini Thu 21-Jul-16 10:32:58

Both my boys have nosebleeds. One time we couldn't get it to stop and went to minor injuries who basically said pinch bridge of nose, tip head forward, spit out any saliva/blood into a bowl. It should stop after 15 mins of this but if not repeat process. Only then if still bleeding heavily would you need to go to A&E. They also said regular nosebleeds are really common in children and they wouldn't cauterise unless much older and having significant problems. Hope that reassures you a bit, its scary when all that blood gushes out of them!

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Thu 21-Jul-16 10:36:48

DT2 gets loads. I have heard really conflicting advice re cauterizing. He put Vaseline up his nose at night and it has dropped dramatically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now