Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Molluscum question! Please!

(19 Posts)
jenny333 Wed 13-Jul-16 15:03:08

So my son was doagnosed with molluscum spots on his legs a while back. the oldest spot has been there the best part of two years. He cane home from nursery yesterday with red swelling around it so i took him to walk in where he was prescribed fusidic acid 20mg.
He seems generally well, tho he did have a runny poo earlier today after 4 applications of this antibiotic cream. Im guessing thats just the affect of the antibiotic!?
My question is will this cream be enough to clear it? Or do u think he may need oral antibiotics. Ive never had cream like this before. The nurse was debating what to prescribe at the doctors which has made me doubtful. It doesnt seem to be any better today but like i say hes only had the antibiotic cream for 24hrs m. How long should it take before i see improvement!?
And is this the usual cycle these spots?!

Thank you everyone!

jenny333 Wed 13-Jul-16 15:05:33

Also to add there is alot of pressure in it! And he wont even let anyone go close to it for the pain!

jenny333 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:31:42

Bump

lisaneedsarest Wed 13-Jul-16 18:37:02

All three of my kids had it and all three had spots that got infected. I'd give it until tomorrow with the cream and if there is no improvement then go back for oral antibiotics. The cream may not be enough to get rid of the infection.
Unless you can burst it of course, I could do that with one with very little squeezing and hardly any pain, others I've not been able to - it doesn't look that squeezable to me but it may be...
Molloscum is nasty, but usually once they start getting yucky/infected it means it's on it's way out.

fusspot66 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:37:11

I don't think a cream could give you an upset tummy in 4 applications. Is it on his knee? Would he be prepared to wipe it with a cotton wool ball soaked in salt water? My son gouged the molluscum on his forehead on the corner of a table. When that one healed up the others disappeared.

jenny333 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:54:42

Its on the back of his thigh. But he literally wont let me go anywhere near it. And screams even when i put the cream on.. So squeezing it is out. reading the cream leaflet it does say 1 in 100 experience burning sensation when applied so im guessing thats whats happening. It just seem soo sore and tender. I think i may take him to drs tomorrow anyway even just for a second opinion that this creams the right way to treat it. The smaller ones seem to have got smaller since this one has swelled so i defo think it triggers your immune system to fight it off.

If it bursts can i still apply this cream the same!? Or should i cover it and keep just keep it clean??

ChilliMum Wed 13-Jul-16 18:59:30

My son had molluscum, he just had a large on like that in the last few weeks. It was large and sore for about a week and now it has gone but left a scab. I think it might have been his immune system fighting back as they all seem to have cleared up now and this looks to be the last one (too early to tell for sure).

DevonLulu Wed 13-Jul-16 19:01:54

Poor thing. Infected molluscum can be sore. Usually they clear up with cream only, rarely need antibiotics by mouth unless really persistent or tricky to apply/keep the cream on.

Please be aware - the cream is only there to remove the new symptoms of redness, tenderness and pain. It will not remove the underlying molluscum. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to be sure.

I think the diarrhoea is a red herring. Likely unrelated.

Liberal ( but within guidance!) dosing of paracetamol and ibuprofen, if not allergic for pain and give it at least 48 hours before you start to notice improvement. Call gp of genuinely getting worse.

molluscum are hugely common and will go with time but can take ages, they are not painful. This has become infected which is the bother. It may happen again.

Have you looked on patient.co.uk. Hugely valuable resource for accurate information.

HTH

DevonLulu Wed 13-Jul-16 19:04:04

No squeezing, no gouging and no salt water. If you are looking for evidence based advice anyway!

timeforabrewnow Wed 13-Jul-16 19:05:49

If it bursts it should clear up. If the redness and pain surrounding it continues I would get oral antibiotics. My dd had an infected one on her leg that became very infected and needed 2 weeks of antibiotics 🙁

After that I would carefully 'burst' any that I could in a warm bath - not easy if very painful though. She had them for 3 years, and a lot of them, but they finally cleared up of their own accord. She also had loads of warts on her hands, they have also gone!

0hCrepe Wed 13-Jul-16 19:08:36

Ds had them and some were in a very intimate area poor boy. The dr froze one and they all retreated soon after for good.

timeforabrewnow Wed 13-Jul-16 19:10:05

Sorry Devon - I didn't mean to contradict your advice, but I think if we'd acted sooner on the one on her leg, it would not have gotten so infected.

jenny333 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:03:28

Thanks for all your advise! I'll keep up with the cream and if its not improved at all in a few days go bk drs. Just feel so sorry for him! :-(

jenny333 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:11:23

So we went back to drs and got oral antibiotics so we could stop the cream. He was in agony everytime i put it on and it didnt seem to be doing much.
Anyway a few days later and the spot burst. A little pus/blood cane out and then it scabbed.
Now we have a half scabbed spot with much darker purple/red ring around it. Is this how it should start to look!?!?

I have no idea how to tell its getting better?

Hes been on oral antibiotics 3 days now

Thanks!

Branleuse Mon 18-Jul-16 09:19:02

mine and several of my friends childrens molloscum responded really well to individually prescribed homeopathic treatment (within 48hours) but i know not everyone is into that

hides

jenny333 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:33:46

Its like this now... :-/

lisaneedsarest Mon 18-Jul-16 11:37:40

That looks like it's getting better to me, if the infection was getting worse the redness around it would be getting bigger not smaller, oral antibiotics stopped the spread of infection for my ds but didn't get rid of it altogether and it took a week or so after to finally go down, then the molloscum disappeared not long after.

dementedpixie Mon 18-Jul-16 11:44:49

That looks painful still. Monitor the size of the red ring and if it gets bigger I'd go back to the GP.

jenny333 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:44:16

It just burst again! Quite alot came out this time so im kinda hoping thats a good thing! And it'll scab again and nearly be done with! :-/.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now