Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

viral meningitis in 2 week old

(7 Posts)
leeds84 Mon 11-Jul-16 11:48:13

We've been in hospital for 5 days because my 2 week old had a very high temperature. All the bacteria cultures and blood results came back clear.

The Dr told us they thought it was an enterovirus. I felt a bit better about everything, because the Dr described it as like having the flu.

New Dr came round today and said she's had a form of viral meningitis. I'm now in bits again. I've read stuff about viral meningitis still being able to cause long term brain damage hearing loss etc.

Is anyone able to help?

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 11-Jul-16 14:05:21

I'm so sorry, you just be in bits..
What did the doctors say to you?
All I know was when my 4 days old was tested for meningitis they told us bacterial is the worse- body will fight off the viral one
Good luck, I hope it turns out ok flowers

lougle Mon 11-Jul-16 14:37:37

Please don't worry. You haven't been given different information. 'Enterovirus' is a large group of viruses which cause lots of different illnesses, and viral meningitis is one of those.

leeds84 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:54:42

Thank you. Do you know what any long term implications might be??

lougle Mon 11-Jul-16 15:22:55

Not really, to be honest. Your medical team will be able to tell you what they think based on how your baby has been. I hope they can answer all of your questions and that you can take your DD home very soon smile

beautifulgirls Mon 11-Jul-16 21:35:47

Please give these people a call and have a chat through things. They supported us after DD3 had septicaemia and have a wealth of knowledge about the many linked diseases and the longer term. One of their roles as a charity is to support parents like you and us when we need them and we were so grateful for this. www.meningitis.org/contact

I hope your little one makes a fast recovery with no long term issues. Despite how poorly our daughter was with one exception physically she is absolutely fine now.

Witchend Mon 11-Jul-16 22:36:00

Viral meningitis is generally milder than the bacteria version.

Problem is long term implications are so varied. However I will say that those I've known who've had viral have come through with mild or no long term issues. All the ones with big issues it's been bacterial.

Hope she's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now