Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! DS has chicken pox

(18 Posts)
SansaryaAgain Sat 09-Jul-16 17:36:22

He's come out in the blisters today so we've a trying week ahead of us. He's only 2.5 and still in nappies and I've already spotted a few actually in his bum. He's too little to understand not to scratch so what can I do to keep him reasonably comfortable? I've heard to give Calpol rather than ibuprofen? And I've also heard good things about Virasoothe and Poxclin - which one is better?

Cakescakescakes Sat 09-Jul-16 18:01:08

Piriton for the itch especially before bed. Some nappy free time eg in garden if he can keep from scratching. Otherwise yes calpol and virasoothe or else you can also get calamine in a cream form which runs in like sun cream. My boys had them inside their mouths etc so ice cream or ice lollies to sooth that. Keep an eye for any that look like they are getting infected esp in nappy area. Good luck!

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 09-Jul-16 19:44:58

DS has just had chicken pox and we are a bit hippy when it comes to home remedies so he bathed in a cool bath every day with:
Oats (in a sock and run the bath water through the sock) bicarbonate of soda, lavender, tea tree oil, Epsom salts, vinegar and pine tar.

No itching and no infected spots.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:46:26

Try either bicarbonate of soda in the bath of porridge oats in a pair of old rights. We did 3x day baths to help with the itching. I'd then lather DD in poxcilin which I kept in the fridge. We had a lot in nappy area too so I did do nappy free and that seemed to help.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:46:41

tights not rights!

OhMyWord16 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:36:48

When DS had this recently, tried virasoothe, coal mines, ibuprofen, paracetamol, anti-histamine, but by far the most soothing was pure Aloe Vera. Might be worth a try.
Good luckflowers

OhMyWord16 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:38:07

Calamine not coal mines!shock

GreenSand Sun 10-Jul-16 20:46:25

Please avoid Ibuprofen (and Aspirin). Just calpol (paracetamol) as pain killers.

Yes to anything else suggested above.

Consider putting socks over his hands to stop hi scratching too much, and trim his nails.

dementedpixie Sun 10-Jul-16 20:49:36

I agree to avoid ibuprofen as it can lead to adverse skin reactions when used during chicken pox

Dizzydodo Sun 10-Jul-16 20:53:42

Dd is almost 18 months and on day 6 of chicken pox. It's been rough going but think we turned a corner today, we've been using calpol, piriton, poxclin, calamine lotion, bicarbonate of soda in the bath and plenty of nappy free time.

Purplehonesty Sun 10-Jul-16 20:54:15

We used virasoothe from
Boots and despite the massive spots dd got she never scratched once

Hope he is ok poor wee thing

SansaryaAgain Mon 11-Jul-16 14:41:53

DS was in pretty bad shape this morning but appears to be perkier now. Those whose DCs had it - how long were they out of action for? DS won't be at nursery this week but I'm hoping he can go back next week.

OhMyWord16 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:10:04

My DS was off school for week and a half. He was v poorly for about 5 days.
HTH

ipswichwitch Mon 11-Jul-16 21:14:21

Both DS's had it recently. 2.5yo DS2 did end up with some infected spots, because he scratched, rubbed himself against furniture and wriggled about in his cot to relieve itching. We used calpol, the spray stuff and antihistamine but he was still itchy. We were constantly watching to stop him scratching but he's a determined little boy wee sod!

glenthebattleostrich Mon 11-Jul-16 21:30:19

Dd had it recently, she was fine after the first 2 days. Made the confinement somewhat trying!!!

Aveno do a menthol cream which dd found very soothing. And yes to all the above.

CheeseAtFourpence Mon 11-Jul-16 21:34:45

We also did lots of craft activities as DD wasn't poorly, just itchy. It have her something to concentrate her hands on rather than scratching.

Joneseygirl77 Tue 12-Jul-16 07:01:57

DD was 2 when she had it and was off nursery for 7 days in total. She had a bad dose of it though so it took her a couple of days post spots to catch up on sleep/ eat. We found days 4-6 the worst for itching/ discomfort and crying! Think tiredness played a big part though plus she wouldn't eat and DD loves her food!

SecretLimonadeDrinker Tue 12-Jul-16 07:19:39

I would avoid ibuprofen.

We gave DS piriton and that helped, also avoided mentioning it, his face, back and creases were the worse areas but it helped he couldn't see them.

Gloves on his hands at night, he would only sleep in bed with me - he fidgets a lot. He has been wearing short sleeves tee and long PJ bottoms do not to aggravate the skin. (Clean pair in the morning and again at night).

DS tells me chocolate helps, particularly kinder eggs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now