Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Huge tonsils- long ENT referral wait

(6 Posts)
cookiefiend Fri 01-Jul-16 12:54:29

DD (2.5) tonsils got huge a few months ago and never went back down. She has started dribbling constantly (which she had grown out of). It seems to really be affecting her sleep. She is snoring terribly and waking up constantly, again something she had mostly grown out of. She is exhausted and grumpy and not herself.

GP looked at her throat, agreed they were likely a problem and referred her to ent a few weeks ago. I haven't heard back and wondered how long referrals take (expecting 12 weeks) and have today been told it is a seven month waiting list. I am really worried now. By the time she gets seen she will she suffered terrible sleep for a year- and it is such an important year for development.

Has anyone had similar- any tips to help? I don't think there is a private hospital here that does children, but will need to look into it (not sure we could afford it?). Anything help your child in a similar situation?

Thanks.

tincent Fri 01-Jul-16 18:10:49

Keep going back to your gp, put concerns in writing about urgent need due to sleep apnoea worries about failure to thrive and impact on development. Push hard and good luck. flowers

RuskBaby Fri 01-Jul-16 18:21:14

Can you go to another hospital locally? I know not everyone is able due to locations but each hospital will have their own waiting time for each speciality.

Badders123 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:31:03

After a year of being messed around by the gp We made a private appt and were seen within a week - it cost £180
The lovely dr took one look at ds2s throat and put him on his nhs list and he had his op 2 weeks later

Badders123 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:31:58

And yes...keep going - keep complaining
They let children suffer for far too long sad

cookiefiend Fri 01-Jul-16 21:25:44

Hmm... Thanks. No other hospital options. Called bupa who aren't able to do much- apparently a referral from then would not move us up the list here. I will go back to gp next week and ask them to write and explain urgent. Grr- thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now