Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Emergency electric about to run out what can I do?

(5 Posts)
Bigdaddymike Wed 29-Jun-16 12:47:38

Hello mums and dads, first time single dad here lol. Basically I've been let down on a payment due today and I have 23p emergency electric left. I've rang my bank asking for help with an emergency over draft and they just laughed at me. Went through British Gas and was on there automated service for 15minuites and my credit ran out!!' Not having a good day and so scared the electric will run out and won't be able to feed my little 5month old daughter, does anybody on here know what I can do? Surely there's some help I can get from a local authority?? Desperate is an understatement!

LikeSilver Wed 29-Jun-16 12:54:00

Local welfare assistance schemes here - www.childrenssociety.org.uk/news-and-blogs/our-blog/use-our-map-find-your-local-welfare-assistance-scheme

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 29-Jun-16 12:59:34

Is there a children's centre near you? Just thinking they might have facilities for heating milk/making bottles, I know ours had a parent kitchenette with sink, microwave, kettle etc. Something like that might buy you extra time to get money sorted? Good luck.

TormundGiantsbabe Wed 29-Jun-16 13:02:46

Is your hob gas or electric? If it's gas then you can still boil water for sterilising and making bottles.

VocalDuck Wed 29-Jun-16 13:11:43

Your gas boiler probably needs electric to run. Your electricity company should be able to do a wind on for you, to give you an extra £10 or so, but it might well cost you a lot more in the long run. Ring Consumer Futures and ask them to intervene and contact your energy company for you on your behalf.

I would head to your local children's centre/NCT group/HV/midwife unit and, as advised above, they should allow you to boil the kettle for your daughter's bottle. In the meantime, boil the kettle now so you can feed her with what electricity remains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now