Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 YO with Itchy scalp

(7 Posts)
MrsOs Tue 28-Jun-16 13:40:12

My ds started itching his head at the weekend.. there are no nits, he has some slight cradle cap but that isn't funnily enough where he is itching.. he is itching at the back of his head. In thinking it was cradle cap related I put some baby oil on his head, left it a bit then washed it out (badly) as it was still greasy.. last night I bathed him as normal and washed it again twice to get the oil properly out.

I rinse the shampoo with the bubbly bath water.. he is not great at having his hair washed and screams whenever water gets remotely in his face so it has to be very quick..

anyway this morning he is itching more than ever! what could it be?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 28-Jun-16 13:41:21

Are you absolutely, totally, completely sure he doesn't have lice?

gamerchick Tue 28-Jun-16 13:42:19

How did you check for lice?

Quietlygoingmad67 Tue 28-Jun-16 13:43:20

It could be the rinsing if his hair in the bubble bath water! I would use a mild shampoo and use clean water and don't be tempted to over wash his hair

MrsOs Tue 28-Jun-16 13:44:00

He's had nits before and I have been able to see them when looking through his hair.. can they go unnoticed then??

MrsOs Tue 28-Jun-16 13:45:12

but what mild shampoo.. I've been using Johnsons and johnsons.. is there a better one to use?

gamerchick Tue 28-Jun-16 15:37:41

It depends. You can see the big juicy ones but they may be on your head now and since it takes about 3 weeks after infestation for the itching to start he could just have babies. That said lice eggs are unmistakable if there are hatchlings.

It could be the bubble bath water, maybe the shower head for a bit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now