Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My son won't take antibiotics orally any in suppository form?

(6 Posts)
pancakeflipper77 Mon 27-Jun-16 06:07:57

Hello my son is 4 and he been ill for 3 days not not wanting to eat, fever has come down, been taken to the walk in clinic and been given liquid antibiotic, which he vomited right back after taken it( big fuss and all).
I was wondering if there was any form of antibiotic in suppository form that is available for children?

doesntmatterwhoyouare Mon 27-Jun-16 06:57:21

Not that we could get prescribed (although I'm not in the UK) for our toddler we mixed it with icing sugar and icecream chocolate sauce (didn't let him see us add the medicine) and he ate it slowly dipping and licking his fingers. After a couple of days he was able to down a dose a day (like a shot) and sometimes take a dose with a syringe but we still mixed the other doses.

SeasonalVag Mon 27-Jun-16 06:59:53

To be honest, that liquid stuff is rank - you cant hide the taste in anything! I had to have it because I couldnt swallow anything. The next time my son was ill, i asked them for tablets. He knocks it back with a multivitamin "chaser". At four he will be able to swallow a capsule! My son much happier with this arrangement, plus he sees the orange tasking multivitamin as a treat.

fabulous01 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:38:47

We had that too. It is cruel but we had to hold baby down and get it in them. I struggled with this but the child needed it, it was the only option for giving it, so we had to get on with it. Worst 2 weeks with medicines ever

GreenGoth89 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:13:47

If he vomitted it back up it could have been a reaction so it might be worst seeing if there's a different antibiotic for him.

SparePantsAndLego Mon 27-Jun-16 20:01:26

Seasonal is right, ask for capsules or tablets. Our son point blank refuses liquid meds...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now