Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yo mouth ulcers? Deficiency?

(5 Posts)
PansOnFire Fri 24-Jun-16 22:52:32

I took my 3yo to the walk in clinic tonight after noticing that his tongue was covered in ulcers that were painful and making him salivate a lot. He's been out of sorts for about a week now, having tantrums and being generally clingy and whingy when he's usually not like that. I took him to the GP on Monday who took a urine test but said that he was healthy, I insisted on the test because he's been wetting himself frequently (more so than the usual accidents). The urine test came back clear and the mouth ulcers hadn't appeared at this point so I put it down to just being a bug or something.

The dr at the walk in checked him over and ruled out both Hand Foot and Mouth and Chicken Pox. She said that it was likely to be because he is deficient in something, probably iron, and that I should see my GP on Monday for a blood test. I'm so worried - I can't think of a positive situation where a 3yo who eats a healthy, balanced diet and sleeps 12 hours a night can possibly be deficient in something which is causing him to be so run down. He had his tonsils out about 5 months ago, he was on a lot of antibiotics before this and always poorly with tonsillitis but he didn't develop mouth ulcers.

Has anyone had similar? Or does anyone have any advice? I'm really worried that its an indicator of something serious.

Maybenot321 Sun 26-Jun-16 16:06:46

possible herpetic gingivostomatitis ?
The primary infection with the common cold sore virus can present like this initially. The blisters/ulcers can be anywhere on the oral mucosa.
Try not to worry, take him back to your GP tomorrow and get him checked over again. Regular pain relief + fluids.flowers

Maybenot321 Sun 26-Jun-16 16:12:21

It could also be herpangina-similar virus to HF+M but only affects the mouth.

JuxtapositionRecords Sun 26-Jun-16 16:18:16

Antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad. Try a probiotic supplement, natural yoghurts, and those probiotic drinks.

PansOnFire Mon 27-Jun-16 00:56:35

Thank you so much for the replies, I'm convinced it's the cold sore virus now and wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for you both! I'm so grateful for your responses, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now