Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When does a pre schooler's clumsiness become something to worry about?

(12 Posts)
FreeButtonBee Tue 21-Jun-16 20:37:05

DTD has always been a bit of a baby elephant (despite being small and slight and 9-25 centile all her life).

She probably only really learnt to run at about 3, jumping on the spot/into a puddle, again only recently at 3.4 or so.

She took quite some time to master her scooter and is still significantly less able on it than her twin brother. That just seemed like natural differences between different children. We probably wouldn't notice if they were 1.5-2yeara apart.

But she has days when she is REALLY clumsy/uncoordinated. Today she ran into a fence at her sports class, fell over numerous times just playing on grass. She can literally fall over standing still if she twists around too fast.

When is this something to worry about? I feel now and against gets close to being something more than just preschooler over excitement.

Things she can do - dribble a football, is progressing well at swimming lessons, can climb a decent sized climbing frame, up rope ladders, can walk up a slide etc.

FreeButtonBee Tue 21-Jun-16 20:43:49

Oh, she can walk down stairs properly ie one foot on each stair in a constant motion, not one foot joining the next on each stair and then moving to the next one. This despite the stairs being steep and her being quite little.

Fine motor skills excellent. Pen control/using play dough/playing witht small fiddly things all good.

MarklahMarklah Tue 21-Jun-16 20:51:36

DD is 5.5 and pretty clumsy. She falls over her feet a lot. Have very recently mentioned this to the GP who is going to refer for a phsyio assessment as it may be 'loose joints' (not sure of technical term).

I can fall over from standing still if I twist round quickly, and am brilliant at walking into things, so I don't think it's age-related! smile

Alibobbob Tue 21-Jun-16 20:56:32

Loose joints could equal hypermobility - my daughter has it but so far it hasn't caused too many issues.

My daughter has dyspraxia too which is problems with coordination.

It's good your GP is referring that way you can get some advice and help if needed.

MarklahMarklah Tue 21-Jun-16 22:22:59

I obviously had not enough to drink - just spotted a typo in my earlier post.
Yes, a friend of mine has dyspraxia and struggles with coordination. He's fine with fine motor skills, but not with general stuff.

MunchCrunch01 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:30:08

I'd talk to your GP in a few years but I'd take the approach of downplaying the importance of not being clumsy - I'm successful in many other areas but terribly clumsy and uncoordinated especially when tired or rushing and I've learnt to cope with the things I'm bad at as many people do - my dd looks to be similar and I'm just not going to buy into the idea that knocking over more drinks than other people, breaking a few plates etc is all that important.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 22-Jun-16 13:55:48

I have hyper mobility syndrome and I can fall over nothing, I'm like a bull in and china shop in my everyday walking around.

Strix Thu 23-Jun-16 09:49:00

DS1 was like this. But fine motor skills were also problem. I took him to a paediatrician who said he was a "bendy boy" (aka loose joints). This means his ligaments are longer than most people's. So are mine. So are DDs. DD and I are both quite sporty/coordinated. So I dismissed this view.

DS1 is now 11. He'd like to be the next Lionel Messi (who is also quite short), but DS1 is not ever going to be a world class footballer.

However... Does it matter? He's not Mr sporty, but he is mr clever academic. We are all good at something. No one is good at everything.

DS2 (5), is very coordinated, strong, and has gobs of physical energy. But he does not shine academically like DS1 did at his age.

miwelaisjacydo Sun 26-Jun-16 06:00:02

Did she crawl or walk straight away?

flutterby77 Sun 26-Jun-16 06:01:49

Has she had any hip issues? My daughter was always tripping over as a toddler and she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 3.

MunchCrunch01 Sun 26-Jun-16 12:33:31

Come to think of it, I've got hip dysplasia too so worth getting that checked - my legs aren't the same length, it can be quite subtle

FreeButtonBee Sun 26-Jun-16 21:12:21

Checked for hip dysplasia at 6 weeks (breech twins). Could it develop later?

Crawled at 7mo, walked at 11mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now