Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A&E again or something else?

(5 Posts)
SteadyHand Sun 19-Jun-16 20:04:03

My dd injured her knee during sport this morning. It was iced and rested, but she couldn't walk on it and was in lots of pain so I took her to A&E.

They xrayed it, bandaged it and gave her crutches, and she has to go to fracture clinic later in the week.

She says the pain is getting worse. I've given her Paracetamol and ibuprofen, but she's been in tears still. The side of the knee is swollen now, it wasn't before.

If the pain is still getting worse by the morning, should I take her back to A&E? Or is that not appropriate given that they've already seen her? Not sure the GP could do much?

MaddyHatter Sun 19-Jun-16 20:28:20

is there an OOH gp you could phone to speak to?

Try and ice the side of the joint, see if it will bring the swelling down, it might help the pain.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 19-Jun-16 20:30:57

You can always phone the A&E for advice on what to do.

SteadyHand Sun 19-Jun-16 20:37:28

She's dropped off to sleep, so I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for the advice, I didn't even know you could call A&E! (Useless mum alert)

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 19-Jun-16 20:43:21

Yes if you have been already you can phone them for advice. For children you probably want to speak to a paediatric nurse or doctor in Children's Emergency, if that is where she was seen initially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now