Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tics

(2 Posts)
paula70 Sat 18-Jun-16 18:34:40

Hi All

Our 7 year seems to constantly have tics, he seemed to have started after about the age of 4 and he always seems to have something. They change from blinking, to stretching out his head , nodding and his latest his glancing to one side and making a waving motion with his hand.
I dont think there has been an instant in the last 3 years when he hasnt had something. I read that they usually just go away but his just seem to develop into something new.
Anyone else had experiences of this kind of behaviour?

Thanks

P

t1mum Tue 21-Jun-16 08:58:35

Yes, my son has had the same thing and still does to a much lesser extent. The blinking tic came on at 4 and the extended movements slightly later. They are much better now he is 9 but still there, particularly when he is tired. Because they were so persistent I was concerned about Tourettes, particularly as he also had a verbal tic. For us though the physical movements didn't seem to be fast or repetitive enough for a classic tic. He has been seen by an occupational therapist and has proprioception and core strength issues. He uses a wedge to sit on in class and this gives him both support and sensory feedback. I am also looking to get him assessed for Irlen syndrome which is a bit like dyslexia (although he is a good reader) and can involve photophobia. So I guess I think he may have met some of the clinical criteria for Tourettes but actually I think his issues are more about sensory processing and the movements are about getting sensory feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now